A Crystal Goblet & the Dragon by Edna May…

A Crystal Goblet & the Dragon

by Edna May Rawson

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byR0BIN

This book came into the library as a local history donation and I was asked if I wanted to read it and review it for the volunteers so they would know what it was about and who to recommend it to.

In the old days a library would have chucked a book published by Vantage Press right into the dumpster and that's too bad because other valuable books like this one, well-written personal memoirs of a certain time in our country's history, are absent from their collections.

Basically, the book is made up of letters written by two Red Cross girls to their parents back home in upstate New York with a little commentary added later by the author. I have come to find out that there was a lot that wasn't covered in my history books in school. Since women in combat is still controversial, I didn't realize that American women were sometimes practically at the front lines and came as close to combat back in WWII as they were. These two women were not even military personnel; they were Red Cross workers. It was a big deal in my family that my Uncle Burgess had "flown The Hump" but he never mentioned that they had female passengers.

I was also surprised when the author, whose father was a minister, wrote a letter home about Ann Sheridan's breasts!

Two negative comments: The cover art and title are terrible because it looks like a fantasy. Actually, "Crystal Goblet" refers to a souvenir the author's sister bought in Belgium and "Dragon" refers to the author's post in China.

The book ended rather abruptly with the end of WWII. I would have welcomed a chapter on how the sisters returned to the U.S. and how they were re-united with their family. Did their Mom die? Miss Rawson wrote the book under her maiden name so she never married Dick? How are going to keep them down on the farm after they've seen Paree? ( )
  R0BIN | Apr 27, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible