King by Ellen Oh

Disappointing end after such a promising start. I had high hopes for the trilogy after reading the first book (really, the start of the first book). The second one was weak but I thought and hoped it was really more of the "middle entry syndrome" that's really a bridge between the beginning and the end. Unfortunately it seems I'm just not a YA fan.

There's not a lot of suspense here. It mostly ends well (it's that kind of trilogy) but how we got there was kinda boring. I disliked the romance taking more of a prominent role here (unavoidable perhaps, but I still don't like it). The removal of one of the legs of the triangle seemed...unfortunate though. It felt like a cop-out since I had hoped that maybe the author wouldn't go such a predictable route. I also didn't care for the romance at all, possibly because I saw the pairing coming.

As other reviews have said, it does seem anti-climatic. There is one big huge battle (of course) but it seemed rushed and a bit...tacked on? I'm not sure what was off about it, although the book itself also wasn't really up to par either.

In the end it was a boring ending to what became an ultimately boring series. I feel like it might have been better as a single, one long epic book instead of being forced into three. I wonder if the the writing might have been tightened up better instead of having to have material stretched out to three books.

Still, I was curious about this author and would consider reading something else by her. The trilogy had potential and I liked that it was set in East Asia than in the West. Borrowed the set from the library and think that's probably best. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
I received this free eARC in exchange for my honest review.

What a wonderful ending! There were things that I was expecting and other things that took me by surprise! I finished this book within hours, wanting to know how it will end and the writing was done wonderfully that I didn't stumble over any part in the novel.

I'm so glad that I read this book. Not only does it involve dragons, which I'm weirdly fascinated by, but also tigers, which I love! And Kira is one tough lady. She is the only woman warrior and she is bad ass enough to own it. She knows what she has to do and doesn't hesitate. And she doesn't want any help from anyone because she knows they will just keep her from her potential.

I'm a little upset about the guy she ended up with as I was rooting for the other guy. I'm even more upset about what happened to the other guy. But Kira seems happy so I guess it's good for her. But I'm glad the other guy made up for the less than honorable actions at the beginning of the series.

So glad to have read this! I will definitely be recommending it to my friends and to the teens at my library as I think they will really enjoy this series! ( )
  JeracaFite | Nov 16, 2014 |

"Girl warrior, demon slayer, and tiger spirit of the yellow eyes: Kira is ready for her final quest to save her cousin--the young boy destined to rule the Iron Realm as crown prince--and to uncover the third lost treasure while facing innumerable enemies in order to fulfill the famed prophecy"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,457,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible