The F- It List by Julie Halpern

The F- It List

by Julie Halpern

My first book of 2015! I feel like lately I’ve read a lot of YA books where the main character or the best friend has cancer, so I was a little worried this book would be the same ol’ same ol’. Thankfully, it was refreshingly interesting and witty! It wasn’t over the top, either, with every line of dialogue being deep or witty. It seemed very realistic, with interesting characters I haven’t seen much in books lately. Alex is a horror movie fanatic, and her best friend Becca is an aspiring actress - but not a huge drama diva. Not one of my favorite books, but a great read, very entertaining, and I recommend it! Bonus points for mentioning Damien Echols of the West Memphis Three case, as well as a lot of other counter-culture references you don’t see much. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
What a refreshing look at high school girls and their feelings. Some may be offended by the frank sex/masturbation talk, but it's not like this is something that doesn't happen. What doesn't happen is it being openly talked about. ( )
  kissedbyink | May 5, 2015 |
A pretty good read. This has some definite major content with much more swearing than there needs to be. However, the character s could have been a little more detailed. Also it left you hanging on many of the aspects of the book. I felt kike the book just ended not very well. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
Two friends, who haven't been friends for awhile, bond over one being sick and one being well enough to work on her friend's "Bucket List." ( )
  Brainannex | Dec 11, 2013 |
While this book is emotional for sure because of the inherent emotional responses, there is also romance, surprising amount of humor, and a main character that I fell for. Alex is caring and loyal, but she is one to deal with her emotions on the inside rather than the outside like her best friend Becca. She has this way of communicating that makes me smile because she is honest and to the point. While she has some self confidence, she knows that she has things to work on, and I just saw a lot of myself in her. Alex also has other things in her life that need her attention, she just lost her father, and her mom is having a hard time with most of her attention focused on Alex's younger twin brothers.
The friendship between Alex and Becca felt really authentic. As the synopsis says, Becca had slept with Alex's boyfriend, and although a huge trangression, Becca was mourning as well, and Alex wasn't deeply madly in love with the guy, so Becca had decided that friendship was more important, and was going to put it behind them when she found out that Becca has cancer. This is a pretty potent glue that drew them back together like nothing had happened negative, only the positive memories, loyalty and trust that had built through the years.
The F-It List was the central focus, and it really worked some character development as well as self realization into Alex through completing some of the items for Becca.
The writing is encompassing and I wanted to keep reading even when the outside world called my name.
Also, I will say that there is swearing and sexual references. I am wondering if this should be on the line of New Adult. But it didn't bother me, I think that it is something that kids in high school legitimately deal with, talk about, and therefore can be YA. I just know that some people expect only kissing and hand holding, and this might be a shock if not prepared. So, older and mature teens only.
I enjoyed the romance between Leo and Alex, and I think he is what helped Alex to feel like could still be happy and normal even in the midst of all of the tragedy. It is what makes life worth living, and is something to hold on to.
The ending is perfect in ways that I can't list without spoiling, but it was just right for the book.

Bottom Line: Emotional, realistic journey with surprising humor and quirkiness from a strong and likable main character.
  brandileigh2003 | Nov 1, 2013 |

When Becca does something nearly unforgivable at Alex's dad's funeral, Alex cuts ties with her and focuses on her grieving family. Time passes, and Alex learns Becca has cancer. It also turns out Becca has a bucket list, one she doesn't know she'll be able to finish now. That's where Alex comes in, along with a mysterious and guarded boy who just may help Alex check a few items off her own bucket list.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible