TMI by Patty Blount
163615,960 (4)None

This review is for the third of the four signed books I’ve recently won from this author through a massive giveaway on one internet site, which had consisted of 13 individual ones, and the following is my honest opinion for this book.

The first thing any potential reader needs to know about this book is the book’s title, “TMI.” For those who aren’t really savvy on the internet the title appears to be three random letters, lumped together. But, for who are, it means “too much information.” For those who understand this, use it as a response in TwitterSpeak to an overload of information, and in terms for this book, it means there’s been an inappropriate disclosure of personal information.

Ms. Blount skillfully explores this notion in her book when Bailey develops an online relationship with a faceless guy. Ryder West, she has yet to meet in person. When this relationship turns into almost an infatuation Bailey wants to spend more quality time with him, and in doing so winds up for the want of a better word, ignoring her best friend, Meg.

Naturally, Meg resents being casted aside like an old shoe. She doesn’t trust him, and she wants Bailey to remove the rose-colored glasses she probably wearing, and see the truth regarding who this guy really is. As a good friend, Meg innocently posts an insignificant little secret about Ryder; but winds up creating a rift in her friendship with Bailey, a rift which eventually leads to a feud between the one-time best friends.

The dialogue the author uses it authentic, as nothing in the nature of what is being said between the characters. Problems with teens dealing with dead or missing fathers are have also been brought into the mix of the book’s storyline, adding to the powerful nature to what Ms. Blount has created here. And once again, the author has included in the back of the included a discussion guide with question to be answered in a group, and self-examination questions for those who read this book.

I hope I haven’t given TMI concerning this book, as it is one which needs to be read on your own to get a better of what the book is communicating; for which I giving it 5 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Apr 19, 2015 |
Overall - To Read or Not To Read:

Overally, I enjoyed the book very much. It was real and covered real topics. None of the characters were perfect to a point they representated a fake person. The story had realisitc drama and kept you wanting to know more. Funny enough, this is a story I wasn't sure I wanted to read and i finished it in 2 days - and that says something about me...

While I cannot say this is one of the best books I've ever read, I can say it is eye opening about the realities of what is going on in the lives of young adults today and how the "romance" game of boy meets girl really has changed - there is so much less face to face and so much more texting, FB, Tweeting, etc.. It's an entirely different world and I enjoyed seeing how this was great and how it could tear someone down - words can be powerful, no matter where they come from.

I do reccommend this as a read - maybe not a soul touching read, but everything cannot be like that - I reccommend for a great think read with some great romance.

Check out my full review at:
http://bookgirlfromsouthcarolina.wordpress.com ( )
  BookGirlFromSC | Aug 30, 2013 |
TMI is focused around the lives of two girls, Meg and Bailey, who are best friends and though they are really opposites, they just click and get along really well. Both girls come from dysfunctional families where the dad is absent. Bailey has never known her dad and really wants to, and Meg's dad died tragically when she was very small. She still remembers her dad, especially the last things he told her, and his death has left Meg very scarred and emotionally wounded, more than anyone really knows. Bailey has always had a boyfriend, is outgoing, a gamer, and is very carefree in nature. Meg, on the other hand, doesn't have time to fit a boyfriend in her life. She is driven and focused on her "goals," is really more of a loner, and she and her mom have very little money, so Meg tries to pitch in as best she can. Her passion is art. She loves to paint and is very good at it. Her mom works and goes to school, which means Meg is by herself most of the time. Then, there is the hottie Chase, Meg's neighbor, who has had a thing for Meg for a long time, and secretly, Meg is crazy about him to, even though she pushes him away and is mean to him because he doesn't fit into her "long-term plan." Whether she admits it or not, Chase is often the glue that holds things together and has been there to pick up the pieces when things fall apart on more than one occasion.

Both girls think they know what is best for the other, especially concerning Meg's relationship with Chase, and Bailey's relationship with the mysterious Ryder West. Meanwhile, things are getting more complicated with Chase and it is getting harder for Meg to deny her feelings, and despite the "red flags" that Bailey refuses to see, she is falling harder for Ryder. One thing leads to another, things are said, lies are told, feelings are hurt, and when it all comes to a head via Facebook posts and other online social media, everyone involved winds up in even more of a mess, one which is now very public and very ugly....something that both girls cannot walk away from unscathed.

TMI was a book that I think would mostly appeal to tweens and teens. It does deal with important issues that many of them could very well find themselves it. While the Ryder West thing was a part of the story, I didn't really feel like he was the main focus of the story, but was more of a catalyst for the other issues that these girls deal with. Friendship is tested, the consequences of of "online revenge/bullying" is focused upon, and the emotional issues that stem from the girls pasts and how their pasts affect their actions and decisions, both in the present and the future are looked at. TMI is told from both Meg's and Bailey's POV. I did like both girls, though the way Meg treated Chase really aggravated me. On the other hand, Chase was great, and so patient with her. The mysterious Ryder West causes a lot of problems that result in some major drama, but that drama also results in both of these girls facing the reality of their issues, which in turn leads to both of them dealing with these issues and their root causes that have been too long ignored. As I said above, I think TMI would appeal to younger teens, as it does highlight some really good points as the reader watches these girls mature and take their journey in life, progressing from unhealthy ways of coping to healthy ways of dealing with issues, and learning what is really important along the way. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Aug 16, 2013 |

Bailey Grant and Megan Farrell, best friends since second grade, often interfere in each other's lives, but when Bailey becomes involved with a mysterious gamer she met online and Megan decides to prove he cannot be trusted, a serious feud begins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,553,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible