Parallax View by Allan Leverone

Parallax View

by Allan Leverone

I won this book as a goodreads first-read giveaway. This was a well written, page turning thriller. It could easily become an action packed spy movie. The characters were interesting and the main character like all good spy thrillers had 9 lives like a cat! ( )
  MiriamMartin | Dec 12, 2014 |
Parallax View: "The apparent displacement of an object caused by a change in the position from which it is viewed".

Who can you trust?? To me this is part of what this book is about, as in the story the protagonist, Tracie Tanner finds herself in this tenuous situation. She is only supposed to deliver a letter from Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev to the U.S President Ronald Reagan, but what occurs along the way is very frightening. Why would Gorbachev be sending a letter that no one knows the content besides him. Tracie is ordered not to open the letter under any circumstance and as a CIA agent she does what she is assigned to do and protects that letter with her life.

The other part of the book to me is loyalty.
Loyalty
"Faithfulness or devotion to some person, cause or nation."

Tracie is rescued by a young, air traffic controller, Shane Rowley. He pulls her out of the plane that crashed suspiciously as she was on her way to deliver the letter. Unbeknownst to Shane, he will be on the ride of his life. These two people are both very loyal to their country so they will do whatever it takes to see that the letter reaches President Reagan.

Parallax View takes the reader on the ride of your life. I was around of course in 1987 so I remember the Cold War mostly from movies and books. This finely researched and written fictional account of the CIA, KGB and higher up government officials in the year 1987 make for a fast paced page thriller that I could not put down. I love Mr.Leverone's style of writing as the story does not lag but keeps the reader wanting more. I can almost see a sequel to this story... ( )
  celticlady53 | Jun 9, 2013 |
Go back to the 80s when the world waited with baited breathe as the relations between the US and Russia wavered back and forth on the verge of World War III. A CIA operative is given the task of delivering a message from Russia to America. She has no idea that she is the most wanted person on the planet once she takes possession of it.

Okay, I love this genre of books. Have since I read my first Tom Clancy novel. This one kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting more. Parallax View is well done. The pace is rather fast without being too much. The action slows down just a bit to allow the reader to look into the minds of the characters or to get some background information. The storyline itself was well done with many twists. It wasn't too confusing or had too many sub-plots. It was just enough to keep the story moving and full of depth.

I loved the characters. They made you want to get in there with them and help them find safety. I can't giveaway anything, but Shane is my hero. He...well, you have to read it to know why. Some secrets just can't be told.

What I liked about this book was the fact that it was set back in the 80s. I grew up in that period so much of what they reference brought back memories of the fear of our Russian enemy. Great read all the way around. Will be looking for more from this author.

Do you love espionage books? Then you need to read this. The chapters are short and action packed.

Note: This book was received as part of a book tour with no expectation of a positive review. ( )
  RebeccaGraf | May 9, 2013 |

It's spring, 1987, late in the Cold War, and CIA clandestine operations agent Tracie Tanner is tasked with what should be a relatively simple mission: deliver a secret communique from Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev to U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

After smuggling the document out of East Germany, Tracie believes she is in the clear. She's wrong. A shadowy cabal is work, people who will stop at nothing to prevent the explosive information contained in the letter from reaching the White House.

Soon, Tanner is knee-deep in airplane crashes and murder, paired up with a young Maine air traffic controller and on the run for their lives, unsure who she can trust at CIA, but committed to completing her mission, no matter the cost...

**********

Praise for PARALLAX VIEW:

"Allan Leverone's PARALLAX VIEW is a sure-footed, masterful thriller with a breakneck pace that never lets up. Faced with the deepest act of betrayal in U.S. history, CIA agent Tracie Tanner must call on every tool she has---and her every last reserve to see the mission through.

"On the run from the agency she loves and serves,Tracie teams up with an unlikely companion, air traffic controller Shane Rowley. Now the two of them are on the run. There's still a chance to avert a disaster of terrific proportions, but the clock is running out.

"Tracie Tanner is one for the ages. I loved this book!" -- J. Carson Black, New York Times bestselling author of THE SHOP

"A sexy, sophisticated Cold War thriller with all the intensity of THE LONELY MILE" -- C.J. West, author of THE END OF MARKING TIME

"Bringing back the days of the Cold War like a Best of Tom Clancy flashback, Parallax View is a rocking read from start to finish!" -- Ian Graham, author of PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS

**********

Praise for Allan Leverone:

"Allan Leverone delivers a taut crime drama full of twists and conspiracy..." -- Scott Nicholson, Amazon bestselling author of LIQUID FEAR and THE RED CHURCH

"Allan Leverone raises the stakes with every turn of the page..." -- Sophie Littlefield, Anthony Award-winning author of A BAD DAY FOR SORRY

"The successor to Michael Crichton has landed. And his name is Allan Leverone." -- Vincent Zandri, Amazon bestselling author of THE INNOCENT and THE REMAINS

"Allan Leverone...is a writer on the rise..." -- Mark Edward Hall, author of APOCALYPSE ISLAND and SERVANTS OF DARKNESS

"Suspenseful and well-written..." -- Debbi Mack, New York Times bestselling author of IDENTITY CRISIS and LEAST WANTED

"A tense, tightly-plotted thriller that will keep you turing pages into the night." -- Christopher Allan Poe, author of THE PORTAL

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible