Disasterology 101 by Taylor V Donovan

Disasterology 101

by Taylor V Donovan

Can a germaphobe with OCD and a divorced father of three, who also happens to be a construction worker working two jobs and attending school with barely the time to shower in between, manage to make a relationship work?
They can, if one of them is the very definition of patience, understanding and reliability and the other is working hard in and out of his therapist office to overcome his compulsions and if they’re honest with each other. Kevin and Cedric are all of these things.

I loved them and the way they interacted with each other.
I particularly loved Cedric, he was vulnerable and strong and I admired how he was willing to put himself on the line and push his limits to have a chance at a relationship with Kevin.
Kevin was great, the kind of guy you hope it really exists somewhere, but sometimes seems too good to be true. I was a little relieved when, after weeks of perfect behavior, his shining armor started to crack under the pressure of all that was happening in his life.
I don’t care how caring and loving a person is, the kind of issues Cedric has are going to put a strain even on the strongest relationship and even the most patient and sensitive partner is bound to reach his limit sooner or later.
And I think it helped keeping things balanced between them that for once the problem was due to Kevin messing up, instead of Cedric’s condition, and that Cedric got to confront him about it.

More in general, I liked that Cedric’s condition wasn’t romanticized and didn’t disappear overnight or even after he was settled in a stable relationship with a supportive partner. It was clear that, no matter how far Cedric will be able to go with his therapy, he and Kevin will always have to live with it and deal with setbacks and adjustments.
It made this book all the more enjoyable, because I could believe in their HEA. ( )
  Ele.na | Jun 8, 2018 |
I don't know how to write this review. What I really want to write doesn't really make for a very helpful review. It would go something like, "Just read the damn book, already! You'll love it, trust me." But since that won't help you out if you're wondering what to read next I'll try to be more specific.

Things I loved about [b:Disasterology 101|16082174|Disasterology 101|Taylor V. Donovan|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1350048246s/16082174.jpg|21881779]:
1. Cedric, quirks and all, is brave, funny, sensitive, and just like Kevin knows, Cedric is stronger than he realizes. And don't forget hot. Yup, definitely hot.
2. Kevin. What to say about Kevin. I have to admit, there were times I had to remind myself that Kevin was thirty-six years old. His character just seemed to be so innocent at times. But even that fit within the story, since he was just then admitting his sexuality to himself and was just starting to make his way as a gay man. It was nice to see a MC who wasn't a manwhore.
3. I loved reading about Cedric's OCD. It was fascinating to realize that OCD was more than just a funny episode of "Monk" (God, I loved that show).
4. Ava and her adorable little lisp whenever she said, "birfday."

What I didn't like:
Only two things worth mentioning. One, there was a bit more inner dialogue than I usually care to read. They did a lot of thinking about their problems and it could sometimes get a bit bogged down. And two, Cedric's problem with erectile disfunction was wrapped up a bit more neatly than I anticipated while reading the lead up. I would have liked to see a bit more of them working together about it.

But seriously, read the book, love the book.
P.S. I bet Cedric just loves his eReader since he doesn't have to deal with all those pesky germs at the library.
  AddictedReader28 | Oct 19, 2017 |
I loved Kevin and Cedric's story probably for the same reason someone didn't: it was over the top, it wasn't everyday ordinary life and it was very much like a Cinderfella fairy tale. I haven't read all the books by this author, actually I think I read only one, her first novel, and this one, but both stories dealt with the high life not many of us have the chance to experiment.

True, in Disasterology 101 Kevin is a construction worker, divorced and with three kids, struggling to reach end of the month with only his salary, but on the other end Cedric is so rich one can only start to imagine it. To compensate his lack of money, and to not make the relationship unbalanced, Kevin is indeed the perfect man, attentive, caring, loving, exactly the one who will be able to understand Cedric's needs.

Cedric has a badly case of OCD, and he will never be 100% well, but with the right man beside him, he can have some sort of stability and Kevin is the one who can give him that. Always talking of balancing the characters, I liked that the author didn't make a whimpering queen out of Cedric; it would be easy, giving his psicological weakness, to translate it in physical weakness as well, to have him someone who needed also the body strenght of Kevin other than his psicological support. But Cedric is a strong man, if not for his OCD, he would be probably the one in charge in the relationship, and with his extreme wealth, that wasn't a good recipe for happiness with Kevin. Like this, Kevin and Cedric match, Kevin's stability helps Cedric's OCD, Cedric's strenght, and yes, domineering attitude in bed, matches Kevin's inexperience in gay relationship.

I was also quite invested in supporting characters, would love to read a story about Evan.

elisa.rolle | Nov 22, 2014 |
Not a bad story at all, kept me (virtually) turning the pages (if only to find out how the heck these two would have sex with all the OCD issues Cedric has). Unfortunately, I just couldn't see the MC's as a lasting couple. Besides being pretty, I couldn't see why Kevin would be so super supportive and devoted to Cedric. There wasn't really much about him except his OCD and phobias. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
I don't know how to rate this book.

I was intrigued by Cedric and his struggles (and his triumphs), but not as interested in Kevin. Cedric was definitely the more compelling character in the book, but felt the author made his struggles so much more difficult than required. I was sad, frustrated and anxious about Cedric and his myriad of issues.

I'm sure there are real people with many of these same real issues; but in this instance, I think it took my attention from the romance and made me focus more on Cedric. This book for me was all about Cedric and how he coped; what he was capable of doing to have this relationship.

Also the "thug" dressing and the people's reaction to it? Annoying... all of it, from the way he's described as dressing, to the ex-wife's reaction... annoying and over the top.

Anwyho, I'll leave the rating alone and say that if you're looking for a different type of read, this is definitely different.
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editMy Fiction Nook, Todd (Nov 28, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editRainbow Gold Reviews, Bethany (May 7, 2014)

added by gsc55 | editThe Book Vixen, J9 (Oct 22, 2013)

added by gsc55 | editDear Author, Sirius (Sep 12, 2013)

added by gsc55 | editLiterary Nymphs, Critter Nymph (Aug 14, 2013)

Kevin Morrison had it all. A house he worked hard for, a loving wife, and three beautiful children. But it wasn't until his marriage ended that he realized what the void he'd felt almost all his life meant. Coming out as a gay man at thirty-six is not an easy feat, but he is determined to be true to his heart. Meeting a man who shares his values, and is good with his children would be a bonus, but when the guy arrives in a uniquely wrapped package, and has very specific handling instructions, Kevin needs to decide if he's up for that kind of love. Obsessed with order and symmetry, and a paralyzing fear of germs, Cedric Haughton-Disley has lived with isolation and loneliness as long as he can remember. Desperate to be normal, he makes some much-needed changes in his life. If he can commit to his treatment, he might very well be able to procure some quality of life... even if that's all he can get, as finding love and having a relationship are only possible in Cedric's wildest dreams. But when a chance encounter leaves Cedric wishing for more, he decides to take a leap of faith, and pursue the guy he wants. Together the two men make an unlikely match. Cedric needs organization, and Kevin represents chaos. In order to stay together they both need to compromise, but will they be able to deal with Cedric's issues and the potential disaster, or let it break them apart?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,142,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible