Close Quarter (Volume 1) by Anna Zabo

Close Quarter (Volume 1) (edition 2017)

by Anna Zabo (Author)

Member:RobynBachar
Title:Close Quarter (Volume 1)
Authors:Anna Zabo (Author)
Info:Anna Zabo Books (2017), Edition: 2, 260 pages
Collections:Read and owned, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:lgbt romance, erotic-romance, paranormal-romance

Close Quarter by Anna Zabo

~ ~ ~

Very different and surprisingly clever. Remember this is fantasy, you need to be willing to just go with it in places and for being open to that you will be rewarded. There are twists and turns and unexpected developments that I questioned too early. It is all worked out brilliantly, I just had to trust the author. While I hold that it could have been tighter in the middle, it was a complete and fulfilling read. Even though it was complete I find my self really hoping for a sequel. There will be a sequel, right? Because there is so much for these characters to accomplish and they’re just great together.

THE CHARACTERS

“You move me, Rhys, in wild and wonderful ways.

Rhys Matherton - He is not at all what I expected from the first few chapters. In fact he continues to change and develop throughout the book. The brash American with unreal world problems.

“Fae embody everything humans desire. Unglamoured, we’re a bit overwhelming to their senses.”

Silas Quint - Arrogant. He exudes confidence and power, but that confidence hides a deeply painful past and fear.

The delicate scent of sweet violets drifted around them

Rhys and Silas together Yes, they’re almost a totally separate character together. Gorgeous, beautiful love making so near to nature it’s pure and wondrous to experience.

Anaxandros - Properly scary, mysterious and ancient. Too powerful, too twisted and too vicious, a great mix for a bad guy.

THE STORY

A contemporary fantasy with delightful surprises and intensely steamy and frequent sex scenes. It’s not often that I think there’s too much sex, but I may have in this one, even though the sex scenes were some of the best parts about this book. More on that in a bit.

By way of an accident Rhys and Silas meet. Instant distaste turns to lustful tastes that help to clean up a sticky situation. Soon it becomes apparent that there is an energy flow between the two that is unexpected from Rhys’ human nature. Needing to understand more he seeks out Silas who holds all the answers. If only he would talk to Rhys instead of making out with him. These guys can not keep their hands off each other.

THE WRITING

Somehow this story is both quick and drawn out. I found myself breezing through some of the later sex scenes, but was also mesmerized and captivated by the unique and descriptive terms that gave flavor and body to Rhys and Silas’ encounters. The descriptive elements really set these characters apart giving me a strong connection to them. For those looking to read a different type of romantic encounter I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book.

~ ~ ~

I sincerely thank Loose Id for providing me with and ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Take a look at my Male/Male Romance Book Blog:

LisaT131 | Sep 21, 2013 |
Vampires, Demons, Angels, Fae people, same old same old you would say, and instead nothing was as expected. The author took the usual characters of paranormal/fantasy romance and intertwined it in a story that was a mix of romance and horror, gothic in a modern setting. The strange mix was also aided by the choice of location, a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, that helped the gothic feeling due to the “being trapped” situation but at the same time was big and modern enough to dispel the haunting and dark. BTW I have the feeling the author did know about cruises since the little details she used were quite right, at least according to my experience.

Silas is a fae with a mission; he is using a glamour to mix among the other passengers, but Rhys seems able to see beyond it; to Rhys, Silas appears with an otherworldly beauty, that is actually his real looks. But also to Silas, Rhys appears “different”, and not only since he is young and cute. There is a mystery in Rhys’s past and apparently Silas has the right answers.

The novel was starting in an “ordinary” way, two men meeting by chance, passions flaring between them, good sex and all; the fact one was a fae, wasn’t particularly exceptional, considering this is a fantasy romance. So yes, I was thinking, good story, nothing out of ordinary. And then the real danger arrives, and more than paranormal is horror, vampires eating human flesh, not only drinking blood; and Silas, the fae, wasn’t cute and pretty, he was dangerous, armed with a sword, and when wounded, he was almost pathetic, gaunt and feral. The author took elements that usually convey beautiful imaginary, and turned them into horrific details, with a mastery that is almost unsettling.

Close Quarter was a surprise and a very good debut novel.

elisa.rolle | Jun 4, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible