Damn Him to Hell by Jamie Quaid

Damn Him to Hell

by Jamie Quaid

Goodreads Teaser:
"Justice is blind. Justine isn’t. Book two in the Saturn's Daughter series, in which Tina Clancy is gifted with the power to dispense justice...for good or evil.

Tina Clancy is adapting to her new life as one of Saturn’s Daughters while living in the toxic part of Baltimore known as The Zone, and occasionally acting as a champion of the downtrodden, the weird, the innocent...and the sometimes not-so-innocent.

Just when she finally lands a real law job, the Zone is blasted by poisonous gas and her sometimes-boyfriend starts receiving visitors from Hell. He’s none too pleased about that, or in Tina having sent his granny to Hell in his place. For that matter, neither is granny..."

Tina continues to learn about her powers as a daughter of Saturn, and in the meantime she becomes much more strongly tied to the Zone and its denizens. Tina's internal struggles regarding her attraction to both Officer Leo Schwartz, and to her erstwhile boss, Andre LeGrande, are entertaining and great vehicles to help move the story forward.

A large part of the book is dealing with her efforts to find a safe balance balance between her new powers and her law-abiding nature. Some strings are pulled and suddenly she's no longer serving coffee as a lowly lawyer in a large firm, instead she becomes the junior partner to Andre's father, Julius Montoya, the famed author of law books still being used in law schools all over the country. All of this is so that she can be hired to represent Andre from a murder one charge in the case of Gloria Vanderveter's death. And all this is just the tip of the iceberg of things that happen in the solid sequel of the Saturn's Daughters series. ( )
  Isisunit | Nov 21, 2014 |
I was excited to jump into DAMN HIM TO HELL, I thoroughly enjoyed the world of Saturn's Daughter from the first chapter of book 1. The zone is a place like no other and the people and creatures that live there keep you guessing. Although there is a lot going on in book 2, I unfortunately found myself board at times while reading. I don't know if it was over explaining or dragging out of events. Maybe both at points? Despite that, I enjoyed the character growth.

Tina is now a lawyer and moves forward in her career. She has a lot of trouble with figuring out her powers and if she is using it for good or evil. I enjoyed the advancement in that particular story like. Andre opens up a tad bit, NOT much I warn you. There is so much to learn about him. I kept waiting for something to happen between Tina and Andre but kept waiting... and waiting. The sexual tension was ridiculous and great at the same time.

I enjoyed BOYFRIEND FROM HELL a bit more than book 2 but it was still a nice continuation of the series. I'm invested in the characters so I will be waiting for book 3. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Jul 18, 2013 |
Tina Clancy had recently learned that she's a daughter of Saturn and must watch what she says when angry as a curse from her now not only makes things happen, but each one causes a consequence for herself which can be good or bad. And she wasn't given a rulebook in how to dispense justice with her newfound "gift."

She lives in an area referred to as The Zone, an area affected by an accident from Acme, a chemical plant. The Zone is a place where strange things are now commonplace and only those affected by the chemical flood, or are too poor to move, stick around. Well, there are a few others that stick around but they've got their own reasons for staying.

Tina had just passed the bar and is now officially a lawyer working as an intern for a judge when Acme appears to have another accident and green and pink chemical clouds cover the area putting a number of affected people into a coma. They can't let Acme sweep this one under the rug.

There is plenty going on in this second book that pits the inhabitants of The Zone against the Vanderventer family that owns Acme. Fighting, kidnapping, breaking and entering, sexual tension, humor, plenty of emotions and a great deal of moral contemplation, especially as Tina attempts to work out just what she should and shouldn't do.

The author does a great job with building an interesting world in the Zone, as well as some unique characters. We learn more about Andre in this book and a number of things occur to advance the overall storyline. And for the most part I really like the morality angle which comes to play not just in Tina's personal life, but with what Acme is attempting to do.

But I've got to say that I'm downgrading my review to a 3 star because so much of the story is spent on Tina's personal struggle with what she should or shouldn't do. Is what the person she's judging really being evil or just doing what they're told? Do they deserve to go to Hell or could another punishment be appropriate? And since she gets rewarded--in either a good or bad way--for each one she does, she's got to be really careful on what she wishes for. Now all of this makes sense and is important as she grows and learns from it, but it can be a struggle to read as this occurs a great deal throughout the book. I would expect to see less of this as the series progresses.

Overall I liked the story and thought it was a good sequel to Boyfriend From Hell, leaving me anxious to see what's going to happen next. ( )
  dearheart | Jun 30, 2013 |

Tina Clancy hardly has a chance to celebrate passing the bar exam when an explosion at Acme Chemical sends a noxious pink and green cloud billowing over Baltimore's radioactive zone. It is not as if the place was normal to begin with, but the poisonous fumes overtake the sky, her neighbors are falling comatose--and Acme is plucking them off the streets faster than Tina and her friends can save them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,648,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible