The Magpies by Mark Edwards

The Magpies

by Mark Edwards

I'll admit I was disappointed that there was no final twist at the end -- or some kind of explanation other than the mundane. I suppose it works, in its own way, because it's realistic. But it wasn't really what I was expecting.

The story is okay, but as I mentioned, the ending is fairly underwhelming, especially in conjunction with the rest of the book. The sex scenes started to get a little repetitive and I honestly hated one of the main characters, Jamie.

I really wish the story HAD gone into a more horror and/or supernatural direction, especially with the way all the other neighbors were fleshed out. Honestly, I was kind of suspecting some kind of Rosemary's Baby type ending ...

But it's not a terrible book. Just, IMO, disappointing. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
— Mark 12:31

Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up.
—Romans 15:2

Devise not evil against your neighbor, seeing he dwells securely by you.
— Proverbs 3:29

Won't you please, won't you please,
Please won't you be my neighbor?
— Fred Rogers

Thou shalt not kill, but the reader of The Magpies will no doubt wish that he or she could do just that ... What kill.
The Magpies is a brutally gut-wrenching, and I mean brutally gut-wrenching psychological masterpiece. A heartfelt tale of utter evil ... Petrifying suspense ... And rage-inducing anguish. Surely, as you're reading The Magpies, you will have to take quite a few breaks from reading (which will be hard to do, as this page-turning thriller is difficult to put down) in order to catch your breath ... To just take a few deep breaths. It is a novel just that phenomenal ... And not merely one for the faint of heart.

An overwhelming rush of varying emotions will grip the reader—dragging, pulling, tugging, and twisting—with all of their strength: Fear, anger, hatred, malice, revenge, murderous rage, and a vicious blow of sadness. The Magpies is a very emotional read, indeed. And its readers will wish that they can absorb into the novel's setting (London) to embrace and protect its protagonists, Jamie and Kirsty. You will just feel for the smitten young couple as they both fall victim to their psychopathic, evil, conniving, and murderous neighbors ... Neighbors from Hell.

Mark Edwards' The Magpies is one of the greatest novels of the psychological thriller genre that I've ever read ... Ever. It is an effort extraordinarily-written, in a spirit of sheer ingenuity. Brace yourselves ... For The Magpies is guaranteed to have a drastic, bone-chilling, and boggling affect on your psyche.

Fast-paced, short-chaptered, and five-star worthy. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
Magpies...They attack the nests of others... This is the premise of the book and Mark Edwards has constructed a brilliantly written, tense and enthralling psychological thriller.

We start, of course, with blue skies. A happy couple, Kirsty and Jamie. Young and in love they move into their dream flat. Then it starts. The torment. Starting small with annoying, little things that build slowly but surely to much more sinister goings on. The perpetrators are clever, cold. Evil.

I found the telling of this thriller unusual (I won't say why because it will spoil too much) but despite, or because of this actually, I could not guess what was going to happen next, or who the perpetrator was going to transpire to be. This made for a fantastic and nail biting read which I completed in two sittings. Assisted by the wonderfully uncomplicated writing and brilliant dialogue which moved along at a punchy pace I thought Edwards produced a group of sound, well developed characters, who drew me in and kept me guessing. All with different quirks the author used them to their utmost to make you wonder - are they just innocent quirks or is there something more sinister in their meaning.

I could really feel the emotional drainage of Kirsty and Jamie, as their happiness fall from their grasp and desperation leads to a raw and aggressive need for revenge.

It wasn't until I sat down to write this review that the prologue jumped into my mind and I suddenly had to re-read it. Then the Oh.My.God. moment happened. I wonder if it is just me or if a delayed recognition of the significance of it has been common in general for readers and if that was the intention all along by the author.

This is the first book I have read by Mark Edwards and I am certain it will not be the last. ( )
  LynseySummers | Jan 19, 2017 |
Not a fan ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |
mark edwards, where your mind goes...I can't imagine ( )
  bytheseabchcmbr | Jul 28, 2016 |

Meet the neighbours from hell, in the gripping thriller that reviewers and readers describe as "fast-paced," "chilling," and "impossible to put down." When Jamie and Kirsty move into their first home together, they are full of optimism. The future, in which they plan to get married and start a family, is bright. The other residents of their building seem friendly too, including the Newtons, a married couple who welcome them to the building with open arms. But then strange things start to happen. Dead rats are left on their doorstep. They hear disturbing noises, and much worse, in the night. After Jamie's best friend is injured in a horrific accident, Jamie and Kirsty find themselves targeted by a campaign of terror. As they are driven to the edge of despair, Jamie vows to fight back-- but he has no idea what he is really up against.... The Magpies is a gripping psychological thriller in which the monsters are not vampires or demons but the people who live next door. It is a nightmare that could happen to anyone.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible