A Dictionary of Environment and Conservation…

A Dictionary of Environment and Conservation (Oxford Paperback Reference)

by Michael Allaby

711,138,814 (5)None

"I don't need a dictionary of the environment and conservation!"

If you're like me, that will probably be your first thought upon seeing this title: it's all very well for those green chaps, but not for me. Well, may I, respectfully, suggest that you are wrong. How many stories in the newspapers concern environmental issues? Every time an expert is interviewed they inevitably slip in to the jargon of their trade and, if you do not know what 'flocculation', 'motile' or 'taiga' means; how are you to appreciate the argument? Even more useful are the explanations of those deceptive phrases that use every day words, but not in an order that one has previously experienced: what on earth is a 'hard energy path'? - Buy this book and you'll know!

I have tested it upon a list of terms and jargon without finding it wanting. The entries are concise, yet informative and written in terms that a twelve year old child could understand... (Quick, find me a twelve year old child!) - thought I'd better do the joke, before you did.

We live in a world in which language is used as much to obfuscate as to inform, and this dictionary is an invaluable tool in defeating that trend. This book will find a valued place upon my reference shelves, next to the more prosaic word lists. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Apr 28, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0199641668, Paperback)

Thoroughly revised and updated to include the latest research in the field, A Dictionary of Environment and Conservation provides over 9,000 alphabetically arranged entries on scientific and social aspects of the environment, including concise and authoritative information on key thinkers, treaties, movements, organizations, concepts, and theories. For the second edition, Allaby has added over 700 new entries, including "aerial plankton," "cyclone collector," "oasis," and "supertramp." The dictionary also features many useful appendices that provide sources of online data on the environment, international environment treaties, the Beaufort scale of wind strength, a geological time-scale, the chemical elements, and SI units. In addition, readers have access to recommended web links that are listed and regularly updated on a dedicated companion website. The book also includes line drawings to illustrate entries. Covering such key subjects as sustainable development, biodiversity, and environmental ethics, the dictionary provides state-of-the-art information for readers interested in environmental science, conservation studies, and related topics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:56 -0400)

Dortmunder has a job offer. He's been hired by third parties to pull off heists in the past, but never to lay his hands on anything this peculiar. Frankly, it's a bone. Not just any bone. A femur. Well, not just any femur, either. A femur which, 800 years ago, was part of a 16-year-old girl who, having been killed and eaten by her own family, was made a saint by the Church. The femur, her only relic, is all that's left. Now two small eastern European countries - Tsergovia and Votskojek - are fighting like dogs over...well, the bone. There's only room for one of them in the United Nations General Assembly, and the choice is in the hands of a powerful Catholic prelate. The country that tosses him the bone is sure to be in like Flynn.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,228,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible