Hoofing It by Ian M Pindar

Hoofing It

by Ian M Pindar

114820,536 (4)None
Amsterdam (1) Barcelona (1) death (1) drugs (2) Europe (1) fiction (1) Germany (1) Holland (1) Ibiza (1) Italy (1) love (1) München (1) relationships (2) road trip (1) Rome (1) sex (1) Spain (1) suicide (1) to-read (3) travel (1)

I adored this book, and I devoured it with every free second presented to me. As others have noted, the chapters can get repetitive. But I found the characters and writing well enough to dismiss this and still become easily engrossed in this book.

**I was gifted this book for free in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the author and/or publisher. ( )
  Kristen11 | Jan 22, 2014 |
Reading this novel is like being in the company of an undergraduate who has decided to cut lectures and spend the day in the Union Bar getting drunk and recounting the story of his mad trip across Europe in the summer holidays. A trip on which he and his friend nicked a car and proceeded to shag their way across the continent and experiment with a variety of drugs, leaving grass verges littered with CDs as they went.

The “hoofing” thing was quite impressive – from the title I assumed this would be a walking tour, but it wasn’t. I’m not sure whether this is a colloquialism I have not met before, or whether it is made up by the author. If the latter, bravo to him. What a versatile term it is, capable of being noun, adjective, verb, you name it. It even sounded like something the Famous Five might have come out with (“...I say, Dick, this ginger beer is simply hoofing...”)

Where I take issue with this book is in the proofreading, or lack of it. Poor spelling and grammar are the things I dread most when reading an independently published book, and finding a typo* in the very first paragraph made my heart sink. A spate of spelling and grammar errors followed, and though the spelling improved as the novel progressed, in terms of crimes against the apostrophe the charge sheet was, well, hoofingly long. Though I admit to being a pedant in such matters, there were at least two occasions when a grammar/spelling error changed the whole meaning of a sentence, and I believe diligent proofreading is a courtesy to which a reader is entitled.

Then there are the exclamation marks. Used here like they are going out of fashion, you would be hard pressed to find a paragraph that did not contain one. Around the halfway stage they started appearing in twos and I feared they might be breeding. Acting like canned laughter, they flag up witticisms as though the reader needs to be told when something is funny but it wasn’t necessary and I would personally have rounded up and shot the hoofing lot of them. They made me think of an overexcited puppy rolling over, desperate to have its tummy tickled, and having worked up such an atmosphere of frenetic jocularity, it made the gear change to more serious topics difficult to achieve. By and large the jokes in this novel are easy to spot without help, and in some cases the humour is top drawer. I liked the “holiday part of the brain”, and as for the dog who swallowed the bluebottle etc, I’m still laughing about that one now. Like a box of Quality Streets it demanded to be handed round so everyone else in the room could chew it over, and I think everyone agreed: very very funny.

I think to not read this novel would be to miss out on a particular world view and some observations which are thought provoking, as well as little facts (thinking about the supermarket carrier bag) that I might never have picked up anywhere else. And I absolutely loved the character Jacko with his “unauthorised use of the C-word”. It’s not one to read for its dense plot. For example it is clear from an early stage that the focus will be on the journey taken by the characters and not on the fact that they are taking it in a stolen car. As it is the first of a planned series, who’s to say the next won’t be “My hoofing time in Wormwood Scrubs” but I doubt it. This is effectively travel literature with a lot of sex and drugs thrown in. Perhaps it’s one for readers who like Eric Newby but wish he was a bit more street. If such a reader exists, their perfect novel might be right here.

* Referring to "taxing" which I assumed should have been "taking". The author has contacted me and tells me "taxing" is a colloquial term for "taking" and it's not in fact a typo. Not one I'd heard of, but happy to make that clear. ( )
  jayne_charles | May 23, 2013 |
This was given to me as a 30th birthday present, I did not think I would like it, but it was delight to read an unknown author, and feel like I was a discovering something before other bookworms. I read it in one day. This is my review from Goodreads about it:

This is an incredible book. This will be a cult classic when more people discover it. This book has all the big issues and more importantly has real soul. I felt like like I had made a secret discovery with this book. It made me laugh many times, not since Sue Townsend have I laughed as much, and made me cry twice! but at the same time there is real narrative arc to it. I thought it was going to be a series of interesting/amusing non-sequiturs, but there is real rite of passage (bildungsroman) to it. I felt I was along for the ride around Europe with them in the stolen car, and I really engaged with the main protagonist, Robert, as he matured morally - it is written in the first person, with some second person thrown in that works incredibly well, brave and clever. The end is brilliant, and not just because there is a modern believable love story. I loved it. It says it is a part of series, if the next one/s are as good as this, it will be a sensation.

I thoroughly recommend this book, it is a complete gem. ( )
  ChloeS83 | May 16, 2013 |
This is my book. I have no reviews on Amazon.com, as I am UK based writer, but very favourable ones on Amazon UK where I have concetrated my marketing and PR: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoofing-It-Ian-M-Pindar/dp/1482533286/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

It is a hedonistic European road movie that deals with most of the bigger issues; love, relationships, sex, drugs, death, moral and spiritual enlightenment. Why not hop on board, and whatever you think give it a review. Big love, Ian.
1 vote IanMPindar | May 16, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Ian M Pindar's book Hoofing It was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,433,054 books! | Top bar: Always visible