The complete poems, 1927–1979 by Elizabeth…

The complete poems, 1927–1979 (1983)

by Elizabeth Bishop

Maybe the best American poet of the 20th century. I'm trying to memorize these. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Elizabeth Bishop is not just a good poet but a great one. Bishop accomplished the magical illumination of the ordinary, forcing us to examine our surroundings with the freshness of the friendly alien.
  PendleHillLibrary | Apr 30, 2019 |
Think of the long trip home.
Should we have stayed at home and thought of here?

That very thought has occurred to me on occasion. This collection was a slow start. The images were dense, looped and anchored in rocky soil. There was a trace of fear upon entry: a hesitation. Perhaps there was a benefit; I know nothing about Bishop’s biography, though I’m guessing there were extensive travels to Brazil. It was Teju Cole who pointed the way. He has proved a reliable curator. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Computer automated stocks shares processing ( )
  t29 | Feb 12, 2018 |
Bishop's poetry is masterful. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
"The Complete Poems, 1927–1979" is not the same as the 1969 volume "The Complete Poems". Please do not combine the two.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374518173, Paperback)

Elizabeth Bishop was vehement about her art--a perfectionist who didn't want to be seen as a "woman poet." In 1977, two years before her death she wrote, "art is art and to separate writings, paintings, musical compositions, etc., into two sexes is to emphasize values in them that are not art." She also deeply distrusted the dominant mode of modern poetry, one practiced with such detached passion by her friend Robert Lowell, the confessional.

Bishop was unforgiving of fashion and limited ways of seeing and feeling, but cast an even more trenchant eye on her own work. One wishes this volume were thicker, though the perfections within mark the rightness of her approach. The poems are sublimely controlled, fraught with word play, fierce moral vision (see her caustic ballad on Ezra Pound, "Visits to St. Elizabeths"), and reticence. From the surreal sorrow of the early "Man-Moth" (leaping off from a typo she had come across for "mammoth"), about a lonely monster who rarely emerges from "the pale subways of cement he calls his home," to the beauty of her villanelle "One Art" (with its repeated "the art of losing isn't hard to master"), the poet wittily explores distance and desolation, separation and sorrow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:00 -0400)

A definitive edition of one of America's greatest poets, this collection draws from her four published volumes, together with fifty uncollected works & translations of Octavio Paz, Max Jacob & others.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,326,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible