Glimpses of the past by Charlotte Elizabeth…

Glimpses of the past

by Charlotte Elizabeth Tonna

113,689,591 (0.5)None
Recently added byHenriMoreaux

Charlotte Elizabeth is the pen name of Charlotte Elizabeth Tonna whom lived from 1790 to 1846.

She's an evangelical protestant christian fundamentalist and this book is terrible.

If not for the fact early on she mentions hearing God speak to her I wouldn't even as read the whole thing. I held out ever hopeful of more bizarre events, but alas none came.

She makes her hatred of the Pope at Catholics well known calling the Pope both Satan and 'the man of sin at Rome".

In addition to the above religious ranting the book covers also her converting people on their death beds to Christianity, the eclipse of Sunday May 15, 1836 and various events in Irish & English history.

Other than the aforementioned hearing God speak to her, the highlight was probably this little rant about the Catholicism: "I can discern the fearful names of blasphemy that cover it from the tips of its crowned horns to the cleft of its blood-stained hooves, and the abject extremity of its scorpion tail. Within and without I behold the brand of anti-Christ; and equally in its lamb like bleat and its dragon roar, I recognise the hateful strain".

Overall, a terrible book; unless of course you love reading about this sort of thing, in which case you may love it.

Oh, and she said Catholics are a "curse on Ireland" - that Christian value of tolerance really shone through in her writings here. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Aug 5, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,443,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible