Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the…

Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber,…

by L. A. Meyer

Series: Bloody Jack Adventures (11)

Bloody Jack is a generally entertaining series of books - although I could do without so much of Jacky's mooning over her dearly beloved Jaimy - but I've been disappointed with the last few installments. We're treated to an ever-increasing flood of Jacky's teen girl hormones and her eagerness to jump into bed with every beautiful boy or man (or girl) she meets - even if she doesn't DO anything with them (well, most of them). There's less of that in this book but we get a huge dose of her selfishness and the troubles she brings on everyone around her. She brawls whenever she gets offended and drugs people who stand in her way. (Maybe they deserved it, but it just feels like it's going too far.) And then there's Jaimy, who is not only annoyingly stupid but annoyingly irritating (I can't think of a stronger way to say it at the moment). This book still had its moments, and I will listen to the final book only because I still want to see how it ends. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
Description: Jacky Faber makes waves, even when docked in her adopted city of Boston to attend to the business of Faber Shipping Worldwide. With big dreams and perhaps too much exuberance for the Puritan populace, she quickly finds herself at odds with the Women’s Temperance Union and a town roiling over the arrival of hundreds of Irish laborers, brought in on Jacky’s Lorelei Lee. Thwarted at every turn by her enemies, Jacky is forced to acknowledge her shortcomings—and possibly lose her beloved Jaimy Fletcher. In this new installment in the ever-popular Bloody Jack Adventures, will the impulsive Jacky Faber finally get her comeuppance?

Thoughts: Typically I haven't enjoyed Jacky's adventures on dry land, but her stays in Boston are the exception. She always manages to get up to hilarious no good and the supporting characters are pretty interesting in their own right. While this installment wasn't the strongest in the series, it was still pretty enjoyable.

My biggest disappoinment: That Higgins was hardly even worth mentioning. Why bother bringing him to Boston to give him almost zero contribution, not even a decent scolding?

The Clarissa factor was quite entertaining for the most part and the epilogue was FANTASTIC. I'm excited to see what comes next in the supposed final installment of the series Wild Rover No More. What ever will happen between Jacky and Jaimy?

Rating: 3.58

Liked: 3.5
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 3.5
Audio: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/172068#4620311 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
The further adventures of Jacky Faber - this time she's back in Boston and getting into trouble as usual. I really enjoy these on audio, although I am getting a little impatient with the star crossed lover plot. Ah well... ( )
  hoosgracie | Mar 24, 2014 |
Not one of the best in the series. Sorting out plot strands in Boston takes up the whole book. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 6, 2014 |
Jacky is back in Boston, tearing up that conservative town with her own brand of mischief and hoping, at long last, to join up with a recovered Jamie Fletcher. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jan 23, 2014 |

L. A. Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Boston! Hooray!" I exult, as the tall church steeples of the city come into view.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:48 -0400)

The irrepressible Jacky Faber, recently arrived in Boston, finds herself at odds with the Women's Temperance Union and local residents angry at the arrival of hundreds of Irish immigrants on a ship owned by Faber Shipping Worldwide.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,590,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible