Follow the White Rabbit (Beautiful Madness)…

Follow the White Rabbit (Beautiful Madness)

by Kellie Sheridan

I was looking for something different from the normal reading. I found it here in this book. Not your typical paranormal book. I don’t know if I would call it a paranormal book per say. It is, but it isn’t like anything I have ever read.
This story is told from many different perspectives, but is not hard to follow. It flows well, and keeps your attention from start to finish.
I was a little apprehensive on reading a book based on Alice in Wonderland. Apprehension was gone quite quickly. It is nothing like you have ever read. The white rabbit with magical powers. The anticipation of Alice returning to Wonderland. Both queens wanting to control Alice once she returns.
The book has very unique characters and a page-turning plot. This is definitely a book to take a chance on. I am really anticipating the next book in this story, whenever that may be. ( )
  UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |
Link to review: http://www.thepassionatebookworm.blogspot.com/2013/08/follow-white-rabbit-review...

The most important aspect to note about this book is that it is actually a novella. It is only about 100 pages! I think knowing that part really helped me to enjoy the book. Most reviews I have read about it have given it a lower rating due the story being too short, well it is a novella! I hated that it was so short because I was immediately left wanting more. That is my usual feeling after reading a great novella.

The novella follows three different perspectives plus Alice eventually! Four perspectives was a bit confusing at first but it got easier as the book went on! I love this type of writing because you get to know so much more about the story.

This book is a definite must read if you love Alice in Wonderland retellings. I think it offers a really unique take on the retelling and is different than most Alice retellings. I love Kellie's take on the characters! The white rabbit is no longer an animal! The mad hatter is no longer a crazy and manic type of character. Alice is also not your usual Alice. ( )
  BrittanyElsen | Sep 24, 2014 |
Thanks to netgalley.com for allowing me access to this title.

This was an interesting take on the Alice in Wonderland story. For those who wondered what happened after Alice went to Wonderland. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
*I was given a free copy of this book on Netgalley.com for an unbiased review*

I liked this book very much. I am a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland and I do love books that play with or reference that story. I like this twist and I do love the modern sort of twist, but I am a little sad that it was so sort. I wanted so much more from this and felt so sad when it ended just when it seemed to be getting good. I hope the next one will be good and I hope it is as on par as this one. I can't wait. ( )
  demonkittie | Dec 10, 2013 |
When Alice was last in Wonderland, 150 years ago, she ushered forth an era of change. Wonderland has never been the same and now that a new Alice is about to make her appearance, the residents of Wonderland are trying to find a way to control what is going to happen for their own benefit. All of the prophecies regarding her return which were once believed to be nonsense and a waste of time, are turning out to be far more accurate than once thought.

Coming in at 100 pages, Follow the White Rabbit is a novella and the introduction to the Beautiful Madness series. I am not a fan of a writer using a novella to start a series. It makes me feel like a beta reader, testing whether or not the idea is viable enough for a book. Due to it's format, Follow the White Rabbit falls prey to the predictable problem of nothing and I do mean nothing at all happening. Essentially, Sheridan used this first hundred pages for world building. Considering that most people are quite familiar with Wonderland, thanks to Lewis Carroll's 1865 novel all we learned was who the White Rabbit is and who the Cheshire Cat is. I am not convinced this much world building was necessary in a story which is familiar to the masses.

In essence, what Sheridan offered was a glimpse at a world which most readers are already well familiar with. It's clear that there are going to be political machinations but beyond that, I have no real sense of what the ensuing plot will be. I cannot even tell you for sure who the protagonist is because little time was spent with Alice and there were several characters who received equal treatment.

Sheridan has set up Wonderland as a matriarchy, with the world being divided in two and run by a white queen and a red queen. The white queen is new to her position and full of ambition. In the 100 pages of Follow the White Rabbit, she moved from being unsure of her self to confidant. The problem is that we were given no real reason for this rapid growth. We learned that the red queen is calculating but really, what else would you expect from the red queen? Other than being a matriarchy, thus far, most of the characters were women and all had different strengths.

If there should be a follow up book to Follow the White Rabbit, I would absolutely read it because while this is essentially a revamp of a story which most are familiar with, Sheridan's writing is engaging and very descriptive. It was easy to get lost in the world building and Follow the White Rabbit left me wanting more because it felt like the story was just about to start in earnest when it ended.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

For centuries, Wonderland thrived as the domain of beautiful bedlam and unapologetic madness. It was a place like no other. All it took was one girl slipping in through the cracks of the universe to start chaos spiraling toward order. In the 150 years since Alice’s visit, the realm has become tainted—almost normal. Rabbits in waistcoats and playing card minions are little more than creatures of myth, and Wonderland is literally falling to pieces.

For Gwen, Rose, and Lucky, Wonderland is home, and yet they know little of its former glory. When the Alice prophecy resurfaces, they’ll have one chance to use Wonderland’s own legends to bring a little mayhem back into their reality. For she who controls Alice controls the fate of Wonderland.

(Novella, 21k words)

Kellie Sheridan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible