Rubber Soul: A Novel (Dust Bin Bob) by Greg…

Rubber Soul: A Novel (Dust Bin Bob)

by Greg Kihn

202515,329 (4.17)None

I read a really good book recently, y'all — Rubber Soul, by Greg Kihn. Let me tell you a little about it.

I really enjoyed Rubber Soul by Greg Kihn! I hope you approve of my excerpt choice, as it has personal meaning for me. I, too, witnessed The Beatles' first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, along with Greg Kihn and Dust Bin Bob.

Oh, wait — Dust Bin Bob is fictional. I kept forgetting that because, to me, this excellent book read more like the memoir of Robert "Dust Bin Bob" Dingle than a work of fiction.

Rubber Soul is such a fun read! Kihn has perfectly captured the same quirky, zany characterizations of The Beatles as seen in their movies Help! and A Hard Day's Night. I recommend Rubber Soul to all Beatles' fans, especially to those of us who are Baby-Boomer mystery aficionados. Rubber Soul is an amazing, fab-ulous read about the Fab Four, which has earned my Five-Star seal of approval.

{Originally published at Jane Reads} ( )
  Jane.Reads | May 28, 2016 |
This book was a bit of a disappointment for me. I found it drawn out and frankly, not very interesting. Oh for sure the historical parts about The Beatles was interesting (my son who is a big Beatles fan did not know about the Manila incident) but I found the author's prose and the overall story to be quite pedantic.

The author appears to vacillate between making this a coming of age story and Beatles 101. Every so often Dust Bin Bob and The Beatles hook up at which point the author throws in some Beatlemania incident. The supposed 'murder-mystery' is unrealistic and as you continue to read you totally forget about it.

A dull, disappointing read but given 3 stars because The Beatles are in it! ( )
  NancyNo5 | May 5, 2014 |

Dust Bin Bob runs a second hand shop at the Flea Market on Penny Lane. He befriends four lads from Liverpool by the names of John, Paul, George and Ringo and becomes their lifelong friend, thwarting an assassination plot along the way.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,656,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible