Stonefly by Scott J. Holliday

Thanks to the author/publisher for a review copy.

I really had no idea what to expect in reading this book. I honestly just thought, "Hey, the cover looks interesting." Because I will admit it. I definitely judge a book by it's cover. I am one of those. But you know what, it is the cover that will draw us in. And look at it sitting up top there. It is interesting and unique and you want to know what it is about, don't you? Yep, me too.

So, not knowing what to expect, I found some very funny passages, some intriguing mystery. A whole new spin on the "genie in a bottle" concept. And I loved every minute of it. I am not really sure what genre this one falls into, so I am not sure who to recommend it to. And it is not really my usual YA fare of late. But it was an intriguing story that will make me think twice anytime I start to say "I wish.." because you can never know what hangs in the balance. The story was well-written. I felt most connected to Frankie, though. I am not sure I can explain why. I sympathized for all of the other characters, but Frankie is what kept me pulled into the story.

Pick this one up and give it a read, especially if you need a change of pace. No matter what you usually read, this will not fit into a neat little genre box. And that is a good thing. Cannot wait for the next book!

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Thanks to the author/publisher for a review copy.

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: Those who enjoy thrillers and don't mind a mild dose of magic
Trigger Warnings: domestic violence against women and children, kidnapping, murder, killing

My Thoughts: Wow, what a super cool story! This combines two of my favorite things, thrillers and urban fantasy, although the urban fantasy bit is fairly low-key. Jacob is a really interesting character, and I'm excited to note that this is the beginning of a series. I will definitely be watching for future books in this series!

Darnell is a pretty nasty character, and I was irritated by Lori's constant string of jerks when Jacob is so devoted to her. I also felt really bad for Motown/Early, whose pain is made obvious throughout the book. The ending was sort of bittersweet.

I'll be interested to see where this goes, especially with Vincent Kali. If you like thrillers and if you like urban fantasy and would love to read a good combination of the two, definitely check out Stonefly.

Disclosure: I received an e-galley from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Jacob Duke has come back to Braketon­—a sleepy, backwoods town bordering Dover, the mental institution where he spent his formative years. Jacob's intention is to enjoy Braketon's woods and water for the first time as a free man, but he soon discovers that Dover isn't through with him yet. Driven by a curse that compels him to grant any wish he hears, Jacob is drawn back into his disturbing former life by a young boy's desire to see his own father dead.

Complicating things are Lori Nelson, Jacob's friend-with-benefits who continues to put new boyfriends in his path, and Motown, Jacob's friend from his years at Dover, who carries a secret that rocks Jacob's foundation and makes him question his own morality. ( )
  Katyas | Sep 29, 2013 |
I would expect this one to land on one of those lists of great books or bestsellers. The writing style is so gorgeous and intricate, giving the reader the perfect image of the scene in their minds. The plot moves along at a very well paced rate and certainly keeps the pages turning. The characters become real in your minds and you find yourself wanting, hoping, wishing, sighing... right along with them. The story as a whole isn't heavy or taxing to the mind, making it an easy read for a wide variety of readers. Well worthwhile. ( )
  Jenn.S | Sep 25, 2013 |

Jacob Duke has come back to Braketon­--a sleepy, backwoods town bordering Dover, the mental institution where he spent his formative years. Jacob's intention is to enjoy Braketon's woods and water for the first time as a free man, but he soon discovers that Dover isn't through with him yet. Driven by a curse that compels him to grant any wish he hears, Jacob is drawn back into his disturbing former life by a young boy's desire to see his own father dead. Complicating things is the irresistible and erratic Lori Nelson, who continues to put new boyfriends in Jacob's path, along with Motown, Jacob's friend from his years at Dover, who carries a secret that rocks Jacob's foundation and makes him question his own morality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:34 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible