Citizen (Volume 1) by Natasha House

Citizen (Volume 1)

by Natasha House

411,664,912 (3)None
aliens (1) calibre (1) deities (1) ebook (1) fantasy (1) meh (1) powers (1) predictable (1) romance (1) seer (1)

I read this novel under another name: Fatal Alien Attraction: Can love exist in an untamed Earth? (Rebirth of the Prophesy Book 2) The author must have updated it with a new cover.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

The idea is interesting; earth has been overrun by this winged, blue alien race who enslave the humans. The aliens are a bit odd, and their society has tight rules, but that doesn't stop some of the aliens from being human lovers. Which makes you wonder, when the halfies are born. So the aliens can procreate with the humans, which leaves you to believe there is more than meets the eye.

The novel starts out with a human being captured. He has weird dreams, but that impact and importance of the dreams isn't really developed. There's a prophecy about someone who will save the humans too.

We see the novel through two alien perspectives as well as the human's. Lila and her brother Morthane, and Lend. We see a bit of Morthane in the beginning, but don't come back to him until halfway through. And the POV’s an abrupt change, almost like two stories smooshed together. I would have liked to see more of Morthane’s developing persona throughout the novel.

I had an issue with the suits giving the humans' powers like the aliens’. It's as if the technology just appeared, with no explanation.

The beginning intrigued me as I read about how different aliens felt about humans as slaves. I liked getting a glimpse at the inner turmoil of characters. All the characters seemed to question their beliefs as new feelings emerged over the characters that came into their lives.

The writing was halting and abrupt. Many things aren't described. A human girl is burned, but the extent is not mentioned, only that she might not survive. Because of the lacking description throughout the novel, the reader is emotionally distant from the story.

One glaring repeated grammatical error, among others. No commas before participial phrases, which drove me nuts.

Reader Rated for ages 14 for mild violence and mild sensuality. The aliens liked to look at their naked slaves, a lot, but it was never in a sexual way, it was always to check for injuries, which happened regularly because when the aliens became angry, they burned their humans.

I recommend reading the Look Inside to see if this novel will grab your interest, because the parts where the story is lacking can be overlooked for an enjoyable read. ( )
  LisaRector | Sep 28, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,158,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible