Innocent Blood by James Rollins
2502045,873 (3.89)10

What an awesome 2nd novel to a new series. Normally, I find the mystery & intrigue, life of the novel as I say, highly lack luster in comparison to the first in the series. Yet, I found this tome surpassing the first in mystery & blowing it out of the park in intrigue. So much so, it left me clamoring at the end for the next.

My only disappointment?

It isn't out yet.... ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
Book Description
New York Times bestselling authors James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell combine their talents in a gothic tale about an ancient order and the hunt for a miraculous book known only as . . . The Blood Gospel.

An earthquake in Masada, Israel, kills hundreds and reveals a tomb buried in the heart of the mountain. A trio of investigators--Sergeant Jordan Stone, a military forensic expert; Father Rhun Korza, a Vatican priest; and Dr. Erin Granger, a brilliant but disillusioned archaeologist--are sent to explore the macabre discovery, a subterranean temple holding the crucified body of a mummified girl.

But a brutal attack at the site sets the three on the run, thrusting them into a race to recover what was once preserved in the tomb's sarcophagus: a book rumored to have been written by Christ's own hand, a tome that is said to hold the secrets to His divinity. The enemy who hounds them is like no other, a force of ancient evil directed by a leader of impossible ambitions and incalculable cunning.

From crumbling tombs to splendorous churches, Erin and her two companions must confront a past that traces back thousands of years, to a time when ungodly beasts hunted the dark spaces of the world, to a moment in history when Christ made a miraculous offer, a pact of salvation for those who were damned for eternity.

Here is a novel that is explosive in its revelation of a secret history. Why do Catholic priests wear pectoral crosses? Why are they sworn to celibacy? Why do the monks hide their countenances under hoods? And why does Catholicism insist that the consecration of wine during Mass results in its transformation to Christ's own blood? The answers to all go back to a secret sect within the Vatican, one whispered as rumor but whose very existence was painted for all to see by Rembrandt himself, a shadowy order known simply as the Sanguines.

In the end, be warned: some books should never be found, never opened--until now.

My Review
This is the 2nd book in The Order of the Sanguines Series. First I want to say that this series needs to be read in order. I'm not usually a fan of vampire books but this is different in the sense that it has to do with the Catholic belief that consecrated wine is transformed into Christ's own blood. Since a lot of the Catholic beliefs are based on faith it was really easy to transfer that faith to a book of this type. I loved the Biblical and Historical references which also made for a very exciting plot. The characters were very well drawn and very believable too. I have read other books by these talented authors and their combined effort in this series makes for very creative writing. Can't wait to start the 3rd book and get back to the adventures of Erin Granger, Jordan Stone and the Sanguines. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 2, 2016 |
Innocent Blood by James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell
Book 3 in the Order of the Sanguines Trilogy

What we think we know from the first book, like the identities of the Knight of Christ as well as the Warrior of Man and the Woman of Learning may not be accurate and a large part of the plot hinges on the quest to determine who has what role. Plus we have a new role to determine…the First Angel. We also get to experience several intriguing new characters that are woven into the story line... Rasputin and Judas Iscariot. With the assembled group we now have the potential for the launch of Armageddon. The conclusion left almost as many unanswered questions as answered ones but it does a great job of setting up the third book in the trilogy.

One of the things that set the book on a high mark for me was the fact that was brought out in the story that human nature is an unpredictable character itself. The "good guys" aren’t always good and the "bad guys" aren’t always bad. There are shades of "gray guys" that don’t always make the right choices or always make the wrong ones. This is just very, very good story telling. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 2, 2016 |
Innocent Blood by James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell
Book 3 in the Order of the Sanguines Trilogy

Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This is the second book in the Order of the Sanguines series and continued on from where the first left off. The prophesied trio - the Knight of Christ, the Warrior of Man and the Woman of Learning - continue their quest to discover the secrets of the Blood Gospel.

The story was fast-paced and intriguing. You learned more backstory of the Sanguinists and Elisabeta Bathory. Can't wait to get to book three in the trilogy. ( )
  bhabeck | May 30, 2016 |

James Rollinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cantrell, Rebeccamain authorall editionsconfirmed
As the screams of the dying rose up toward the desert sun, Bernard's bone-white fingers clutched the crosses hanging from his neck.

"The second installment in the bestselling gothic series, about an ancient order who speak the truth behind Christ's miracles and strive to protect the world from evil - from the winning writerly combo of James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell"--

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,621,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible