Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: An…

Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: An Origami Yoda Book

by Tom Angleberger

Arg! It ends on a cliffhanger!!! Need next book now! ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I enjoyed the first three in audio format, and I'd prefer to continue listening, but this wasn't available as such. I'm perhaps not the target audience; I'm not sure if it was format or story quality that disappointed. ( )
  2wonderY | Apr 5, 2017 |
Dwight, aka Captain Dwight, and Origami Yoda are back at McQuarrie Middle School and everyone, but especially Tommy, Sara, Quovondo, and Harvey (maybe) are happy about it. After all, Origami Yoda is their leader...right?. Maybe. Anyway, Principal Rabbski has taken away all the extracurricular classes (art, music, etc.) and replaced them with the FunTime Educational System which is supposed to bolster their standardized scores. Nobody likes the singing calculator or extra worksheets. Is there a rebellion in the making? You bet!
The gang recruits enough 6th, 7th, & 8th graders to sabotage the test-taking, thus making the scores worse than before. Then, the board and Principal Rabbski will have to nix FunTime, right? Maybe. The kids are looking for support...but, you'll never guess who is silently hoping their battle is won!
The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: Origami Yoda #4 is full of the same clever humor, school zaniness, and stick-figure illustrations that accompanied all of the previous case files. Fans of the previous books will love this one, right? "Purple". ( )
  CalebB.G1 | Mar 12, 2017 |
October 2, 2013

I read it ten months ago, but I didn't write a review, so then I didn't remember anything, which forced me to read the book again just to catch up with what's going on before I read Princess Labelmaker, but by the time I got around to it, the next book had to go back to the library. So, kids, THIS is why you should keep track of your reading.

Not that I mind a re-read for the quality of the writing. Angleberger strikes a good tone in these. No, this particular volume in the series fills me with RAGE because it's about how the school has canceled all extracurriculars and electives in order to make time for all the students to go through a particularly inane set of materials to prep them for the high-stakes test. And this is a subject that makes me stabby.

I do like that the author is addressing a systemic problem facing current students. The books were delightful when addressing the minor embarrassments of daily life, better when addressing more serious issues, and even better now, I think. I'm looking forward to moving on with the series, and hopeful that the books offer some creative civil disobedience.

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
It is the Spring semester at Mcquarrie Middle School. The students of the school return with horror as they discover all of their electives have been replaced with FunTime. FunTime is discovered to be the opposite of what the name suggests. Who can save them from the boredom of FunTime? Dwight and his origami puppet, Origami Yoda, help the kids form an origami rebellion. However, the Rebellion faces numerous problems, from parents being mildly to extremely upset, to their allies being few and far between. With so few numbers, everything begins to look bleak for the rebellion in their efforts to stop the menace that is FunTime. However, things take a twist when an unlikely ally is discovered. This new ally is Jabba the Puppet.

This was a new, fresh book in the series, with a climactic new goal. First they tried to discover if Origami Yoda could actually use the force. Then they tried to discover if Darth Paper actually defeated Origami Yoda. Then they tried to discover if the Fortune Wookiee could actually make accurate predictions. However, this was a fresh, new, final goal for the band of preteen trouble makers. It showed as the school transformed from a fun school to a FunTime school. As always, the characters retained their quirkiness and attributes. Now, however, they are trying to stop FunTime. ( )
  RileyM.g1 | May 25, 2015 |
Me and Kellen knew we would be starting a new case file when Dwight got back. We just didn't know what it would bea bout. I mean, you never, never know what to expect from Dwight.

"Dark times have fallen on McQuarrie Middle School. Dwight is back--and not a moment too soon--as Kellen, Sara, and the gang face a new Menace: the FunTime Educational Program. FunTime is supposed to raise students' standardized test scores. Instead, it's driving everyone crazy. The students turn to Origami Yoda for help"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,528,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible