Scary School #3: The Northern Frights by…

Scary School #3: The Northern Frights

by Derek The Ghost

172587,099 (4)None

Scary School is a series that not only my kids love, but I do too. In the third installment, some of the kids at Scary School become exchange students with Scream Academy. Scream Academy is much scarier than Scary School. Changing schools is always stressful but even more so with monsters involved! And, of course, nothing is ever easy at Scary School. And this semester there's a new student, Lattie, She's a ninja with a millipede as a companion.
Once again Derek The Ghost tells a wonderful tale about the Scary School kids and their adventure. Poor Charles Nukid. Will he ever catch a break? He always seems to be in the middle of the fray. Lattie adds an interesting twist to the story. She's mysterious and speaks in riddles. I love how the kids of Scary School stick together. They're all different, but they work well together.
Once again, this is a must read for kids as well as adults. I love reading this with my kids. It's a book we all enjoy. And that there says a lot. Especially since we rarely like the same things. This is a great book full of fun and adventure.
Read more at http://www.2readornot2read.com/2013/09/back-to-school-week-northern-frights.html... ( )
  mt256 | Sep 14, 2013 |
Scary School is a series I always look forward to. It's fun, it's fresh, and it includes humorous references to Pop Culture that all ages can get. The third novel in the series, The Northern Frights, has a few of the students of Scary School (Charles NuKid, Petunia Petals, Jason Borhees, Fred Kroger, Wendy Krumpkin and new Ninja student Lattie) attending the Scream Academy as part of an exchange student program for the duration of a week. There they encounter new kinds of creatures and characters and must fight to survive (as always) the harsh perils of a student living in this crazy world.

The series is narrated by ex-student turned full-time ghost, Derek, as he chronicles the adventures of his classmates, but it also has brief instances where the thoughts of a character's mind are told. It's a hybrid narrative that merges several different perspectives that takes only a few pages to get used to.

The Northern Frights was definitely entertaining, and a wonderful addition to the series. It's humorous, entertaining, though a tad too abrupt in some aspects, even for a middle-grade novel which should usually be fairly fast paced. The first and second, while short as well, seemed to flow well together and here it seemed to jump too quickly. It didn't quite have much of the "all ages" factor here, and stuck mostly to the market of young readers, which is good because that is the central audience this book is geared for, however the older crowd reading as well may get a little frustrated in the parts where it gets too candid and a craving of depth is wanted.

For young readers this is a great series. There is ample cognitive stimulation for the intended audience, though it could use a tad more in my opinion, and it presents a unique and fun fantasy world of incredible creatures with equally as entertaining stories. While not my absolute favorite of the series it was still highly enjoyable and perfect to pass the time with and leaves me curious of the next one in the series. I love the author's creative mind and the characters and worlds he's conjured up, and am anxious to see if perhaps he has a young adult/new adult story to tell in the near future as well.

Scary School is a great middle-grade series I will continue to recommend and wait for each year! It's cinematic, unique, and has the qualities to make a great film/tv show adaptation as well. With relateable characters acting as great role-models it is definitely one of the best new series for young readers out there! Perfect for those not yet of age for heavier material, or anybody looking for a quick, inspiring read dealing with magic, dragons, and everything in between.

*I received a finished copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  RJGonzales | Jun 27, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061960985, Hardcover)

In The Northern Frights, the third book in the spooky Scary School series, Charles “New Kid” Nukid and his friends, including Lattie, a girl ninja, must fight an epic battle with an ice dragon to save their school. But first they must survive going to Scream Academy as exchange students. And that may be hard, because the Academy has an abominable snowman for a principal, a Headless Horseman as one of the teachers, and the students are yetis, trolls, and ogres!

Will Charles survive to make an ancient prophecy come to pass and save everyone? The illustrated Scary School trilogy by Derek the Ghost, with its mix of humor, scares, and adventure, is a perfect pick for middle-grade readers of the Wayside School series and the Zach Files books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:00 -0400)

Charles Nukid and his friends are chosen to be exchange students at Scary School's terrifying counterpart, Scream Academy, where they encounter polter-bears, abominable snowmen, trolls, and the dreaded Ice Dragon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible