Rivka's War by Marilyn Oser

Rivka's War

by Marilyn Oser

133723,089 (3)None

I found this book to be fascinating! A young Russian woman who is Jewish joins a Russian battalion of women to fight the Germans! The book is also about the leader of their troop a woman named Yashka. I have been reading and learning about WWI lately and I feel this book contributed to my understanding of the war. It presents us with the Russian politics of WWI and the persecution of the Jews that occurred during this time. I was engaged in the story and her travels and I was not bored or overwhelmed with the politics. Unlike other books I have read in the past, I was able to understand the politics involved and what was going on in this book. It is an interesting piece of history. Rivka was a remarkable woman. I enjoyed reading this story. I think the story line is a great one! This writer is still developing her own writing style. I felt this was a good book. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Sep 14, 2014 |
During WWI, Rivka, a Russian Jew, joins up with a troop of women soldiers. This book follows her story into battle and beyond. I found myself growing a bit bored about halfway through the story. Rivka's journey turned into a bit of rambling, which made me put the book down. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Aug 23, 2013 |
RIVKA’S WAR by Marilyn Oser
This book should have been really interesting. What is not to like – a teenage girl leaves her prosperous home to “save” her brother from the influence of the Bolsheviks in 1914 and ends up joining the Russian Army in the first all-girl battalion and becomes the companion of a notorious counter revolutionary fleeing for her life. Eventually Rivka finds her way to Palestine.
Except, it just wasn’t very engaging. Rivka was not very sympathetic. She seemed to have no real reason for joining the army. Her brother had no reason for becoming a Bolshevik, just as he never gave a reason for failing to commit to his Jewish faith after his triumph of a BarMitzvah. Yashka, the counter revolutionary beloved by “her girls” was not at all likeable. I didn’t care if she lived or died and certainly wouldn’t have joined her army.
There was a lot of history, but it was boring! There are a lot better books out there. I’ll read them! The one episode that was interesting was with Dudie, the child Rivka “adopts” but is taken from her. Too bad more of the book didn’t involve his story! ( )
  beckyhaase | Aug 13, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible