My Story by Elizabeth Smart

My Story (2013)

by Elizabeth Smart

I made the mistake of reading other reviews before I did my own.
They make me angry. Nosey people expecting too much. There is no reason to pick the book apart because she didn't share in the exact details of her torture and rape. Good job humans.

She doesn't owe anyone anything. The fact that she even wrote a book for the public to read is a great leap and very brave. She doesn't need to tell us anything. Were all reading this book because were nosey, some are just more nosey then others I guess.

I see nothing wrong in her writing style. She's not a "professional" author. Never claimed to be, she can write however she wants. She was a kid when this happened, she's going to remember it like a kid.

I think the book was fine. It was written just fine. It's easy to read and understand. What she went through was horrible and I'm glad to know she lives a happy life now. And that's all people should be concerned about. Is that she's happy. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
I had the pleasure of interviewing Elizabeth Smart a few years ago for a local newspaper when she visited the area to give a few talks. I was amazed by her poise and demeanor when faced with ridiculous questions that frequently begin with "Why didn't you..." She was was an abducted, brutalized, terrorized teenager who focused on surviving. Her recovery from all that she endured is remarkable. After hearing her speak, I decided to pick up "My Story."

The book tells the story of Elizabeth's kidnapping, torture and eventual homecoming. I thought it did a good job of portraying the facts of the case and how Elizabeth managed to survive -- mainly through her belief in God, memories of her family and an internal reservoir of strength.

I didn't necessarily like the way the book was written... it really attempted to put an emphasis on her being a little girl (and I get why the book is written in the way it is, but it's a bit jarring.) The book also lacked that spark that Elizabeth possesses when she speaks (I've covered lots of guest speakers over the years and few of their speeches have really stuck with me like Elizabeth's did.) Overall, this book is a fine read if you want to know more about what happened to Elizabeth during her nine months of captivity. ( )
  amerynth | May 17, 2017 |
I remember when Elizabeth was taken. It was horrific at the time and horrific again to listen to Elizabeth read her book about what happened to her. What a strong individual Elizabeth has become and I'm so glad she is living her life with joy and happiness so she doesn't give anymore power to her captors. I know she says no one knows what she went through, that the fear can paralyze you but I still wonder why she didn't yell her name when the police officer confronted them at the library and was quiet when they were caught. I understand she didn't want to cause her family harm, but it's too bad she didn't have faith that the police would keep her safe. I do know because of listening to this book, I'm going to look a little closer at people as I walk by and see if they are sending signals with their eyes or body language. And I hope Elizabeth's story helps children who do happen to get taken to have strength to survive. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Narrated by the author. Typically, when I see an audiobook is performed by the author, it doesn't bode well for my experience. Very few authors can get away with it. This is a pleasant surprise however. At first Smart starts out sounding too pert for this horrifying account. But as she gains her momentum her voice becomes a highly compelling part of the story. Her voice is strong and confident and the moments when she sarcastically refers to her captors or ironic situations are actually funny. She even changes her voice to portray her captors. When you hear her document abuses such as daily rapes and quote the awful words said to her, the miracle is not just that she survived the abuse, but that she had the inner fortitude to rise so very, very high above it. Astonishing and inspiring. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Such a great and inspiring story! I highly recommend this. I listened to the audio which is narrated by Elizabeth Smart which made it even more powerful. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
The power of choosing good and evil is within the reach of all.
--Origen Adamantius

For we are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.
--2 Corinthians 4:8-9
This book is dedicated to the safe return of missing children everywhere.
Prologue: We had just walked out of the ZCMI store in downtown Salt Lake City.

"For the first time, ten years after her abduction from her Salt Lake City bedroom, Elizabeth Smart reveals how she survived and the secret to forging a new life in the wake of a brutal crime On June 5, 2002, fourteen-year-old Elizabeth Smart, the daughter of a close-knit Mormon family, was taken from her home in the middle of the night by religious fanatic, Brian David Mitchell and his wife, Wanda Barzee. She was kept chained, dressed in disguise, repeatedly raped, and told she and her family would be killed if she tried to escape. After her rescue on March 12, 2003, she rejoined her family and worked to pick up the pieces of her life. Now for the first time, in her memoir, MY STORY, she tells of the constant fear she endured every hour, her courageous determination to maintain hope, and how she devised a plan to manipulate her captors and convinced them to return to Utah, where she was rescued minutes after arriving. Smart explains how her faith helped her stay sane in the midst of a nightmare and how she found the strength to confront her captors at their trial and see that justice was served. In the nine years after her rescue, Smart transformed from victim to advocate, traveling the country and working to educate, inspire and foster change. She has created a foundation to help prevent crimes against children and is a frequent public speaker. In 2012, she married Matthew Gilmour, whom she met doing mission work in Paris for her church, in a fairy tale wedding that made the cover of People magazine"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible