My Story by Elizabeth Smart

My Story (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Elizabeth Smart

Member:RSVPCenter
Title:My Story
Authors:Elizabeth Smart
Info:St. Martin's Press (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Survivor Healing and Resources

My Story by Elizabeth Smart (2013)

In 2002, Elizabeth Smart was only 14-years old when she was kidnapped from her own bedroom(!!!) in Salt Lake City, Utah. A homeless man who considered himself a prophet kidnapped her and he and his wife held her for nine months before they were caught and she was reunited with her family. Elizabeth tells the story of what happened.

In addition to her own story of what happened over those nine months, Elizabeth tells some of how things were going back home with the search. In fact, for a good chunk of the time, she was kept very close to home, until it got too cold to live in their tent and all three moved to California.

The way the story was told seemed very “simple” to me, maybe to reflect (on purpose or otherwise!) how young she was at the time? There is also a bit or repetition. I certainly remember the story in the news, even here in Canada and always wondered about her. She seems to have come through very well adjusted (despite the daily rape!). She doesn’t go into detail on that. The 4-star rating may also have to do with my interest in the case, generally. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 25, 2017 |
More than ten years after her abduction from her Salt Lake City home, Elizabeth Smart, now 26, tells the story of what she encountered during the horrific months she spent in captivity and how she survived. Elizabeth's memoir does not dwell on the darkness she encountered, but rather focuses on how her faith and love for her family helped her survive and create a wonderful life for herself after her rescue. Elizabeth's story is very inspiring because she never gave up hope or lost her faith despite all the misery Brian David Mitchell and his wife Wanda Barzee put her through. This book is difficult to read at times, but it is also difficult to put down. I would recommend this title to anyone wanting to learn more about this courageous woman.

Laura W. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
There are really no words to describe how I feel about this book. Elizabeth is so strong and brave to have lived through such a horrific time, and then to relive it by sharing her story with the world. It is well written, and I applaud her for sharing.

I hate that this happened. I hate that this book was written. I am glad that her tormentors are in prison. I am glad that Elizabeth is strong and brave and happy. ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
I made the mistake of reading other reviews before I did my own.
They make me angry. Nosey people expecting too much. There is no reason to pick the book apart because she didn't share in the exact details of her torture and rape. Good job humans.

She doesn't owe anyone anything. The fact that she even wrote a book for the public to read is a great leap and very brave. She doesn't need to tell us anything. Were all reading this book because were nosey, some are just more nosey then others I guess.

I see nothing wrong in her writing style. She's not a "professional" author. Never claimed to be, she can write however she wants. She was a kid when this happened, she's going to remember it like a kid.

I think the book was fine. It was written just fine. It's easy to read and understand. What she went through was horrible and I'm glad to know she lives a happy life now. And that's all people should be concerned about. Is that she's happy. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
I had the pleasure of interviewing Elizabeth Smart a few years ago for a local newspaper when she visited the area to give a few talks. I was amazed by her poise and demeanor when faced with ridiculous questions that frequently begin with "Why didn't you..." She was was an abducted, brutalized, terrorized teenager who focused on surviving. Her recovery from all that she endured is remarkable. After hearing her speak, I decided to pick up "My Story."

The book tells the story of Elizabeth's kidnapping, torture and eventual homecoming. I thought it did a good job of portraying the facts of the case and how Elizabeth managed to survive -- mainly through her belief in God, memories of her family and an internal reservoir of strength.

I didn't necessarily like the way the book was written... it really attempted to put an emphasis on her being a little girl (and I get why the book is written in the way it is, but it's a bit jarring.) The book also lacked that spark that Elizabeth possesses when she speaks (I've covered lots of guest speakers over the years and few of their speeches have really stuck with me like Elizabeth's did.) Overall, this book is a fine read if you want to know more about what happened to Elizabeth during her nine months of captivity. ( )
  amerynth | May 17, 2017 |
The power of choosing good and evil is within the reach of all.
--Origen Adamantius

For we are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.
--2 Corinthians 4:8-9
This book is dedicated to the safe return of missing children everywhere.
Prologue: We had just walked out of the ZCMI store in downtown Salt Lake City.

"For the first time, ten years after her abduction from her Salt Lake City bedroom, Elizabeth Smart reveals how she survived and the secret to forging a new life in the wake of a brutal crime On June 5, 2002, fourteen-year-old Elizabeth Smart, the daughter of a close-knit Mormon family, was taken from her home in the middle of the night by religious fanatic, Brian David Mitchell and his wife, Wanda Barzee. She was kept chained, dressed in disguise, repeatedly raped, and told she and her family would be killed if she tried to escape. After her rescue on March 12, 2003, she rejoined her family and worked to pick up the pieces of her life. Now for the first time, in her memoir, MY STORY, she tells of the constant fear she endured every hour, her courageous determination to maintain hope, and how she devised a plan to manipulate her captors and convinced them to return to Utah, where she was rescued minutes after arriving. Smart explains how her faith helped her stay sane in the midst of a nightmare and how she found the strength to confront her captors at their trial and see that justice was served. In the nine years after her rescue, Smart transformed from victim to advocate, traveling the country and working to educate, inspire and foster change. She has created a foundation to help prevent crimes against children and is a frequent public speaker. In 2012, she married Matthew Gilmour, whom she met doing mission work in Paris for her church, in a fairy tale wedding that made the cover of People magazine"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,023,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible