Undeclared (Woodlands, #1) by Jen Frederick

Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)

by Jen Frederick

I liked "Unspoken" better, but this one was still good. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
4.5/5
You know how little I've read of New Adult genre, so it's with much trepidation I agreed to review this book, because Jen was charming in her email request.

Undeclared was genuinely a lovely debut book. I was craving something comforting when I started reading it, and what I got was a big fluffy pillow of a sweet love story.

Both Noah and Grace are ordinary people with normal problems, insecurities and aspirations, but it's by pure chance that they get to know each other.

Noah has been a Marine deployed in Afghanistan for 4 years, and Grace chose to write letters to him as a school project. What started as a friendship slowly turned to love as they got to know each others dreams and plans for future, but when Noah left Marines he freaked out how unsuitable it made him for civilian's life and chose to write Dear Jane letter to Grace breaking up with her with a much dreaded phrase "let us be just friends".

Now, more than a year later, Noah gets his shit together after some counselling and intensive planning and is ready to do anything to make amends and conquer Grace's heart again, hence him enrolling into the same Uni, Grace is in.

The plot in the present is interspersed with Noah's old letters to Grace.

Dear Grace,
I think what you feel on my letters is dust. I'm bummed that it is on my letters to you. They say it is sand, but it's finer than that. It's like the particles that make up the sand, and it is everywhere. When you get home from leave and wash for the first time, you have to stand under the water for at least twenty minutes, all the while watching the black dust collect and pool at your feet, creating coffee-colored water that swirls down the drain.
I don't think you can ever fully erase the dust from your belongings. It sticks with you, no matter how long you let the water wash over you, or how many times you wipe it away. Like the tension I have in being weaponless and exposed back home, the dust is one of the many things I'll carry with me when I'm out. I'm sorry that it is invading your space now through my letters. It's like I'm spreading a contaminant. Am I patient zero, or are you?
I probably shouldn't have volunteered for a third tour but combat pay is hard to turn down. After three years here, though, I feel like I am a loosely contained conglomerate of those particles of dust.
Yours,

Noah is also doing fights (sometimes underground fights) to make money and buy his first business while he is getting his financial degree, but don't be alarmed those of you, who hated Beautiful Disaster as much as I did. He is nothing like Travis.

He might have jealous, possessive impulses, but no matter how many times he imagines acting on them, - he never does. That man is charming, lovely and stable as a rock even if he is only 4 years older than Grace, and it's great to watch these two stumble in the dark to find each others hearts again and with that their own confidence in what they want from life.

Secondary characters are also very engaging, both Noah's best friend, enigmatic Bo, and Grace's cousin, Lana. I have a secret desire that these two golden kids will get together - they are both wry, self-deprecating, gorgeous and loyal to their friends and family.

Wonderful, lovely book, and I wholly recommend you read it. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
One of my FAV heroes. Enjoyed his alpha presence and how he had life plans in place for himself and Grace, despite her "undeclared" status. This excerpt pretty much sums it up:
" “I just don’t get it. She’s not your type at all,” Bo said.
“What’s my type?” I challenged.
“Someone more driven. Someone who has her act together.”
“She’s got her act together,” I said. I really didn’t know if she did, but what did it matter. I knew where I wanted to go. She could just come along with me.” "

Grace is a wishy washy kinda heroine. Polar opposite to Noah. But this is the basis, the foundation on which this story is built. She's meant to be indecisive and weak, otherwise the title wouldn't make sense. So while I prefer stronger heroines, this book didn't need one. Noah didn't need one. He was strong enough for the both of them, she just had to love him and want to be with him.

Can't wait for Bo's book next. Oh boy:
" “Nice buffet.” Bo came up to stand next to me, waving at the college girls.............” "

" “Who’s lovely Lana?” Mal asked.
“Lovely Lana,” Bo said, “is a glorious blonde creature.”
“You hitting that?” Mal asked.
“Nope,” Bo leaned in. I could tell he was going to impart one of his dating philosophies. He had many. “There are only two circumstances in which you sleep with your wingman’s girl’s friend.” He pointed to me. “First, when all you’re doing is hooking up casually. Second,” he lifted another finger, “when you think you’re both going to marry those girls. Otherwise, you dip your wick elsewhere.”
“Why’s this?” Mal said.
“Don’t encourage him,” I protested.
“Because when your wingman breaks up with his girlfriend, you don’t want to be stuck with the extra baggage.” He cocked his fingers at me and pretended to shoot me with them.” "

I learnt a new word courtesy of Ms Frederick:
ameliorated

So while the feel of the book was vague and cloudy, I enjoyed it for what it was. That's the part that made the book different for me. Yes, there are inconsistencies and unresolved issues but it didn't irritate me overly much. I especially enjoyed their inner voices, both Noah and Grace. Through that I could see Noah's strength and determination and Grace's ditsyness. (I think I just made that word up)

BeegPanda | Aug 2, 2015 |
This book was about a 19 year old and a 23 year old, so it is VERY new "adult". It was also a very simple book, with (appreciatively) lacked the usual amount of drama and heartache that typical books of this nature have.

So, I enjoyed that aspect about it a great deal! It was an interesting story, thought I did find it a tad bit boringly written. I loved there wasn't a bunch of manufactured drama, or heartbreaking things, but it also lacked a bit of dimension, not a great deal of stuff happened, and what did happen wasn't told in a very interesting manor. So it kinda seemed 2D instead of 3D.

I did like all the characters, everyone was rational and intelligent!! I loved that!! I'm very tired of these books with twits for friends, and irrational bitches for heroines.

So, normally I'd give this book 3 stars because it was just pleasant. But There were so many things I appreciated about the book that I upped it to 4 stars. ( )
  aVamp1r3 | Nov 25, 2014 |
Review posted under Nerd Alert ( )
  BookCrazed2013 | Aug 22, 2014 |

For four years, Grace Sullivan wrote to a Marine she never met, and fell in love. But when his deployment ended, so did the letters. Ever since that day, Grace has been coasting, academically and emotionally. The one thing she’s decided? No way is Noah Jackson — or any man — ever going to break her heart again. Noah has always known exactly what he wants out of life. Success. Stability. Control. That’s why he joined the Marines and that’s why he’s fighting his way — literally — through college. Now that he’s got the rest of his life on track, he has one last conquest: Grace Sullivan. But since he was the one who stopped writing, he knows that winning her back will be his biggest battle yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:37 -0400)

"For four years, Grace Sullivan wrote to a Marine she never met, and fell in love. But when his deployment ended, so did the letters. Ever since that day, Grace has been coasting, academically and emotionally. The one thing she's decided? No way is Noah Jackson - or any man - ever going to break her heart again. Noah has always known exactly what he wants out of life. Success. Stability. Control. That's why he joined the Marines and that's why he's fighting his way - literally - through college. Now that he's got the rest of his life on track, he has one last conquest: Grace Sullivan. But since he was the one who stopped writing, he knows that winning her back will be his biggest battle yet."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible