The Mesmer Menace (Gadgets and Gears) by…

The Mesmer Menace (Gadgets and Gears)

by Kersten Hamilton

211495,208 (3)None

This book is great for the kids. Adventure from a dogs perspective! Through in some science and steampunk and a dachshund's best friend and we get The Mesmer Menace!

When I first started this I was pleasantly surprised to be getting the story through Noodles' eyes. Very unique and fun and lighthearted. The President presents himself to the Kennewickett family for assistance. Yet while the adults are away Noodle's and his human, Wally have their own villian they must stop!

Each character is very unique. Noodle is hilarious! I love getting the story from his perspective. This book is very inventive, both in it's creation and what steampunk devices it contains. The pictures are nicely done and fit in quite nicely to the story.

For me, the biggest drawback is it seems VERY geared to the younger ages. While geared toward middle grade readers, the style is more akin to a chapter book for late elementary. The pictures, while I enjoyed them only add to this. Not a challenging read by any means. Yet still very enjoyable.

This book could be a great intro book for new readers looking for something different. A great intro into the steampunk genre for out youth!

This book was given to me for review by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group via Netgalley. Special thanks to them for this opportunity. All opinions expressed in this review are strictly my own. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |

Daring dachshund Noodles narrates as evil Mesmers bent on world domination arrive at the Amazing Automated Inn, where eleven-year-old inventor Wally Kennewickett, aided by Noodles and the inn's automatons, tries to foil their plans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,448,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible