Praying Drunk by Kyle Minor

Praying Drunk

by Kyle Minor

Very graphic, very dark, very real. A much darker read than I usually read but I did my best. It's good, strong writing and if you like this kind of genre then you won't be disappointed. ( )
  Icepacklady | Jun 3, 2015 |
This is well written and a good book if you have the stomach for it. Unfortunately, I did not. It's a bleak and disturbing series of short stories that seem to work through some of the author's issues with a religious upbringing. It's filled it suicides, illness, and death, and frankly I had to put the book down once a kitten was run over by a car. I could not finish this one. ( )
  LAKobow | Mar 23, 2015 |

The characters in Praying Drunk speak in tongues, torture their classmates, fall in love, hunt for immortality, abandon their children, keep machetes beneath passenger seats, and collect porcelain figurines. A man crushes pills on the bathroom counter while his son watches from the hallway; missionaries clumsily navigate an uprising with barbed wire and broken glass; a boy disparages memorized scripture, facedown on the asphalt, as he fails to fend off his bully. From Kentucky to Florida to Haiti, these seemingly disparate lives are woven together within a series of nested repetitions, enacting the struggle to remain physically and spiritually alive throughout the untamable turbulence of their worlds. In a masterful blend of fiction, autobiography, and surrealism, Kyle Minor shows us that the space between fearlessness and terror is often very small.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,718,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible