Uncanny X-Men, Volume 1: Revolution by Brian…

Uncanny X-Men, Volume 1: Revolution

by Brian Michael Bendis

So, with all the Marvel NOW! changes that have been happening, it's been hard for me to keep up with what's going on. While I think DC handled their reboot better only in that every series restarted at the same time, I like how Marvel kept the stories going, just freshened them up a bit. But, as they started new series at different times during their reboot, I lost track of what's what, so am just sticking to the series that I'm interested in, like Uncanny X-Men.

I never understood why they ended the original run of the flagship X-Men title, other than to try to gain some sales, so when I heard then that they were bringing the title back, I was hardly surprised. This time around, Bendis has taken the reins of the series, and while I absolutely think he needs to be removed from being the writer for the big universe-spanning crossovers (such as Age of Ultron - ugh), I think his take on the rogue team of X-Men is fantastic!

This story takes place fairly shortly after the events of AvX and the Phoenix event and finds the rogue band of X-Men (Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto, and Magik) trying to find new mutants before the government does, and protecting them. They have opened a new school at a secret location, where they hope to train these mutants in the use of their powers and uphold the Xavier dream. However, this is a team of broken X-Men. During the Phoenix event, Cyclops went mad and stole the Phoenix power from the other hosts, and in the ensuing battle, damaged the powers of several of the X-Men. So now, not only is this team of X-Men training other new mutants, they are having to retrain themselves and see if they can restore their powers. These are characters that now that they are broken, and are aware of what they were trying to do during the Phoenix event, and are now trying to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives.

The first arc finds the team trying to rescue Fabio Medina, a new mutant whose powers just emerged. Almost as soon as the team arrives to help Medina, a new breed of Sentinels arrive on the scene as well. They have no idea who sent the Sentinels after them, or how whoever did send them knew they were going to be at that precise location, but they assume that it is SHIELD.

Cyclops then decides to go to the Jean Grey School to see if he can recruit any of the students there for his new Xavier School (so many schools!). After a brief argument with the X-Men at that school, they return to the Xavier School, only to have the Stepford Sisters and Angel (from their past - see All-New X-Men for that story) join the team.

They no more than get these students to the school than Magik is ripped out the room, and thrown back in a swirl of demon fire. It is revealed that part of her broken powers have been ripping Limbo apart, and Dormammu's realm is now in danger, so he brought her to Limbo to kill her and take over Limbo as well as the Dark Dimension. Magik thinks this worst is over, but it's only just begun.

Frankly, I loved this volume. This new take on Cyclops, where he's almost maniacal in his devotion to rescuing new mutants is impressive. Add to that his dealing with his broken powers, and you've got a great mix for characters development. Bendis handled all the characters, in my opinion, and I'm really anxious to see how he plays this series out. Chris Bachalo and Frazer Irving's art is fantastic. I've always been a fan of Bachalo, and this is my first time experiencing Irving's art, but his style suited the issues that dealt with Limbo perfectly.

So while I still think Bendis needs to have his influence on the bigger spanning events scaled back quite a bit, I'm pleased with how he's handling this title. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jan 12, 2014 |
Uncanny X-Men (2013) #1-5 ( )
  angellreads | Aug 30, 2013 |

HERÓIS REVOLUCIONÁRIOS OU PERIGOSOS TERRORISTAS?

Com a mais recente vinda da Fênix à Terra, tudo mudou para os Fabulosos X-Men. O professor Xavier está morto, Ciclope e sua equipe foram declarados fora da lei, e começaram a surgir vários novos mutantes por todo o planeta. Mas essa nova etapa na vida dos Homo superior traz à tona um velho pesadelo: robôs Sentinelas saem à caça dos Filhos do Átomo e tudo que eles protegem. E, enquanto Ciclope e Emma Frost tentam reaprender a usar suas habilidades descontroladas pela Força Fênix, Magia descobre que está forte como nunca e Magneto se empenha para provar que, mesmo enfraquecido, ainda é o Mestre do Magnetismo! Pelas mãos dos aclamados Brian Michael Bendis e Chris Bachalo, uma série que redefiniu os X-Men!

Este volume de 124 páginas reúne as edições 1 a 5 de Uncanny X-Men.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078516846X, Hardcover)

The true flagship X-Men series returns...NOW! In the wake of the Phoenix event, the world has changed and is torn on exactly what Cyclops and his team of outlaw X-Men are - visionary revolutionaries or dangerous terrorists? Whatever the truth, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto, and Magik are out in the world gathering new mutants and redefining the name Uncanny X-Men. But the challenges that they must overcome are fierce: once again, robotic Sentinels hunt the team and the mutants they protect...but when you find out who's doing the hunting, your jaw will drop! And if that's not enough, there's a mole on Cyclops' team - but who is it? Blockbuster creators Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo revamp the X-Men concept and turn everything you take for granted on its head!

UNCANNY X-MEN VOL. 1: REVOLUTION includes a code for a free digital copy on the Marvel Comics app (for iPhone®, iPad®, iPad Touch® & Android devices) and Marvel Digital Comics Shop. Additionally, this collection also features special augmented reality content available exclusive through the Marvel AR app - including cover recaps, behind the scenes features and more that add value to your reading experience at no additional cost.

COLLECTING: Uncanny X-Men 1-5, plus never before seen extras!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

"The true flagship X-Men series returns! In the wake of the Phoenix event, exactly what are Cyclops and his team of outlaw X-Men: visionary revolutionaries or dangerous terrorists? Whatever the truth, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto, and Magik are gathering new mutants and redefining the name "Uncanny X-Men." But they face harsh challenges: Once again, robotic Sentinels hunt the team and the mutants they protect--but who's doing the hunting? And there's a mole on Cyclops' team--who is it? A weakened Magneto must prove that he's still the master of magnetism, as Magik wonders why she is the only Phoenix Five member to emerge unscathed! Plus: Learn what it's like to be a student at Cyclops' new school! Blockbuster creators Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo revamp the entire X-Men concept!" -- Cover of paperback ed.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible