Walk Me Home by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Walk Me Home

by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Catherine's books are always a pleasure to read and this one is no exception. She puts so much soul into her characters, so much reality. This book was a fast but intelligent read including one of my favorite subjects, Native Americans. Carly and Jen, sisters, have a difficult home life and decide to run away from New Mexico heading for California and a man they believe will be their salvation, a man Carly has loved as a father.

This story of their journey, both physical and emotional, is full of the growth of two teen girls in surprising ways. Discoveries about their relationship to each other, their values, their family, and their assumptions about people and life are challenged. I particularly enjoyed the Native American characters in this story. I can't think of any author who writes such life into her characters as Catherine does. I feel as though I know them by the end of the book and could walk next door and have a chat with them. I wanted to drive to Wakapi land to meet Dolores and Alvin!

Catherine's note at the end of the book reflects who I imagine her to be so well. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book, the story of two orphaned girls trying to get to their mother's former lover, Teddy. Afraid of being split apart and taken away by Child Protective Services, the protagonist, Cally, and her eleven-year old sister, Jen, embark on a journey to California.

Walk Me Home is tightly written and makes us feel in great detail what not having a home is like. It is a sad story, yet the girls find hope in the most unlikely places. The only issue I had was that Cally seems younger than 16. Even in her dealings with the hunky classmate, Dean, she appears a bit juvenile. I think the reason for this impression stems from Cally's refusal to acknowledge that there may be some truth to Jen's claim that Teddy assaulted her. This refusal and along with it various somewhat illogical decisions made me question the protagonist's age and at times annoyed me.

Aside from this issue I kept pulling for Cally, thoroughly enjoying her internal and external journey, especially because it involved a (though fictitious) Native American tribe.

Annette_Oppenlander | Aug 31, 2015 |
Athough this is well written and the characters are well drawn, the plot has a hole in it -- a big hole which is never filled. Carly and Jen quickly leave their home in New Mexico. It is clear that they have just discovered that their mother has died and Carly fears that Social Services will put them in a home -- probably separate homes -- so they are running away in the hopes that their step-father, Teddy, will take them in. Clearly they have no connection to their father, but there must has once been one. Carly in passing says there is no father but gives absolutely no explanation. There mother is described as flitting from man to man over and over again over the life of the girls. That begged the question of whether they were even the children of the same father. Explanation is never given. Did the father just walk away or is he dead? We're never told. Bigger than that is that none, absolutely none, of the adults who come in contact with these two girls ever ask about a father. They are told about the step-father, Teddy, but never, ever ask about the blood father. I waited the entire book for that shoe to fall and it never did. Having lived in Arizona, I liked the Native American aspects and the descriptions of the landscape. I also liked Alvin and Delores and the many people who come in contact with Carly and her sister; they were diverse and interesting. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Oct 7, 2014 |
Two teen sisters struggle to stay together and survive after a tragedy leaves them alone. ( )
  poetreegirl | May 14, 2013 |

Since their mother's sudden death, sixteen-year-old Carly and her eleven-year-old sister, Jen, have been walking and hitchhiking across the Southwest trying to find Teddy, the closest thing they have to a family. Carly desperately hopes Teddy will take them in and save them from going into foster care--and forgive them for the lies told by their mother. But when the starving girls get caught stealing food on a Native American reservation, their journey gets put on hold. While the girls work off their debt, Carly becomes determined to travel onward--until Jen confesses a terrible secret that leaves both sisters wondering if they can ever trust again.… (more)

Catherine Ryan Hyde is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible