Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos by…

Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos

by Harlan Ellison, Paul Chadwick (Illustrator)

513229,653 (4)2

The first 2/3 of this book were amazing. It's only as the action ramps up towards the climax that Ellison starts to lose me. The passive way in which the female characters act is just so godsdamned stereotypical of old school sci-fi. Try a little harder next time to write a believable woman, maybe? Still, I enjoyed the book immensely, it's exactly what you'd expect from Harlan Ellison. The characters were (mostly) entertaining, the setting fantastic, and the plot enticing. ( )
  elvendido | Aug 28, 2016 |
Ellison and Chadwick perfectly capture the 1960s Silver Age era of comics in story and art ( )
  LamontCranston | Feb 14, 2014 |
I guess it is about time for me to give up on the idea of truly enjoying graphic novels. I have tried numerous times and found them to be okay, but not as satisfying as other forms of reading. I never got into them as a youngster, and my forays at this much later age do not appear to add to my ability to enjoy them.

That represents my caveat for the review that follows, because, as much as I liked the story, as much as I liked the art, and as much as I enjoy Harlan Ellison's work, this felt a pale shadow to actually reading what might have been a full novel.

Using a concept as old as "The Seven Samurai" (Ellison acknowledges the homage), seven people are brought together from various parts of the solar system to deal with the chaos that is being wrecked in the past. The story is about how the seven are brought together, how they discover the work they must do, and how they accomplish their mission.

It is full of ideas and concepts that barrage you from all directions. There is heart beneath the story. There is heart in the characters. The illustrations are beautiful.

And yet, I cannot give this a high rating – strictly because of my prejudice. All I could think of were two things. One, what a great movie it would make (I think that may be one of the great strengths of graphic novels – it helps tone deaf producers and directors actually see a project). Two, I wish I were reading the novel so I could dive in so much deeper.

Again, it is my failing, not the book's nor the story's nor the art. But I have to rate it based on the way I see it. ( )
  figre | Aug 18, 2013 |

Ellison, HarlanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chadwick, PaulIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chadwick, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In a distant future, Earth is in grave danger: The fabric of reality itself in unraveling, leading to catastrophic natural disasters, displaced souls appearing from bygone eras, and sudden, shocking cases of spontaneous combustion. The only hope for Earth's survival is a force of seven warriors, each with his or her special abilities. But can these alien Seven Samurai learn to get along in time to find the source of the gathering chaos and save all of reality?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,589,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible