Bastion by Mercedes Lackey

Sigh, will there be a sixth? What happens next? ( )
  Pat_Gibson | May 28, 2017 |
I liked the whole Collegium Chronicles series, though it didn't have as much of a connected story line as I was expecting. Herald Trainee Mags and his friends have more adventures in this book, but the conclusion of the overall story-line only comes in at the very end. Mags finally learns who his parents were and why the assassins from an unknown land recognized and hunted him. We don't get to see Mags graduate to Whites yet, but he's the central character of the next Valdemar trilogy as well, so the story can pick up from there. ( )
  SF_fan_mae | Oct 25, 2016 |
Not terrible, and a good solid ending (at last). But the flashbacks got really annoying. My impression was that Lackey had decided that either nobody had read the earlier books, or if they did it was so long ago they wouldn't remember any of it, so whenever it was important that you knew what had happened before (how Jakyr and Mags met, for instance), she retold the story, in essentially the same words as were used in the original book. Nothing added - it would have been interesting, for instance, to get Jakyr's POV on that meeting rather than retelling Mags'. Much the same complaints as in Redoubt. We do learn a bit more about Mags' past, particularly about his parents; also quite a bit about the assassin tribe that was his parents' people. And some hope, of a sort, for the future for them, as Bey intends some interesting new angles...though his take on things differs sharply both from Mags and from the Heralds. It was also interesting to see Mags acting as a normal Herald, in some rather abnormal situations - well, Heralds apparently run into this kind of thing regularly, but I don't think we've seen it before. So - glad I read it, I _may_ reread at some point. And I do want to read the next series, that starts from the end of this one. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Aug 7, 2016 |
We've waited all series long to find out Mag's past; about his parents. There's really nothing about Mag's parents that's earth shattering. Really, there's nothing we're given that's even remotely interesting. What he learns in this last book seems like a afterthought to this side plot. Overall I feel as if this series wasn't planned out very well. The first book of the series is my favorite but the rest weren't that good. Definitely not one of Lackey's best series. I suppose I was hoping for a good last book, to give the series a good ending and some closure; plus I really am interested in seeing mags as a Herald. But if the writing in the sequel series is on par with this I doubt it will be worth it. It's really too bad. I was hoping for more. ( )
  Kassilem | Apr 11, 2015 |
BASTION ends the five-book story arc that tells Mags story. From abused mine slave to Herald of Valdemar is quite a journey and it was fascinating watching him grow up and come into his own. Throughout the whole series we have watched Mags search for his history. In this episode we finally find out about his people.

Mags has escaped from the people who kidnapped him but he is afraid that he brought trouble back with him to the Collegium in Valdemar. He is very worried about Amily, the young woman he loves, and his friends becoming targets. He did gain a promise from his kidnappers to stop trying to assassinate the Crown that Mags is sworn to protect.

So a plot is hatched. Mags will go out on circuit with a mentor as most young heralds do and along the way he will "die." His friends will also get out of town for various reasons of their own. They will meet up and hope to elude the assassins. The will be patrolling the north of Valdemar including the Bastion which used to be a bandit hide-out. The same bandits who killed his parents. Mags is hoping to find some clues about them.

He and his mentor weren't expecting to find an area that was hostile to heralds and many problems to solve. Nor was he expecting to find the family that he had wondered about for years. His cousin Bey is a fascinating character who tries to convince Mags to come "home" with him and be part of the assassin's guild that Bey hopes to take over.

This story had romance as Mags and Amily finally get together. It had danger as Mags and company had to fight off assassins who also wanted to take Mags home with them. It was a nice conclusion to a story arc. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 25, 2014 |

Mercedes Lackeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my mother, Joyce Ritche, who never failed to support me.

Mags returns to the Collegium, but there are mixed feelings--his included--about him actually remaining there. No one doubts that he is and should be a Herald, but he is afraid that his mere presence is going to incite more danger right in the heart of Valdemar. The heads of the Collegia are afraid that coming back to his known haunt is going to give him less protection than if he went into hiding. Everyone decides that going elsewhere is the solution for now. So since he is going elsewhere--why not return to the place he was found in the first place and look for clues? And those who are closest to him, and might provide secondary targets, are going along. With Herald Jadrek, Herald Kylan (the Weaponsmaster's chosen successor), and his friends Bear, Lena, and Amily, they head for the Bastion, the hidden spot in the hills that had once been the headquarters of a powerful band of raiders that had held him and his parents prisoner. But what they find is not what anyone expected.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:56 -0400)

Mags travels to the Bastion in search of who his parents were and a possible explanation about why he is being pursued by Valdemar's enemies in the fifth and final volume of the series following Redoubt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible