Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.
To Repair the World: Paul Farmer Speaks to the Next Generation
by Paul Farmer
No current Talk conversations about this book.
Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0520275977, Hardcover)
Here, for the first time, is a collection of short speeches by the charismatic doctor and social activist Paul Farmer. One of the most passionate and influential voices for global health equity and social justice, Farmer encourages young people to tackle the greatest challenges of our times. Engaging, often humorous, and always inspiring, these speeches bring to light the brilliance and force of Farmer's vision in a single, accessible volume.
A must-read for graduates, students, and everyone seeking to help bend the arc of history toward justice, To Repair the World:
• Challenges readers to counter failures of imagination that keep billions of people without access to health care, safe drinking water, decent schools, and other basic human rights;
• Champions the power of partnership against global poverty, climate change, and other pressing problems today;
• Overturns common assumptions about health disparities around the globe by considering the large-scale social forces that determine who gets sick and who has access to health care;
• Discusses how hope, solidarity, faith, and hardbitten analysis have animated Farmer's service to the poor in Haiti, Peru, Rwanda, Russia, and elsewhere;
• Leaves the reader with an uplifting vision: that with creativity, passion, teamwork, and determination, the next generations can make the world a safer and more humane place.
(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)
"Here are highlights from Paul Farmers' speeches to a variety of audiences, from Princeton to Harvard to Notre Dame to Berkeley. Paul is a rock star of the academy who has a large following among many groups: students, doctors, general readers, activists, public health folks, professors. He is the pied piper of everyone who wants to change the world. Not only is he cofounder of Partners In Health,US Deputy Special Envoy to Haiti,head of social medicine at Harvard, but he's also a charming, humorous, engaging public speaker whose charisma is legend. In this book, conceived of as a graduation gift for students write large, Farmer addresses the challenges facing young people with a call for them to change the world and become activists"--
Is this you?
Become a LibraryThing Author.