dismiss

Old Peter's Russian Tales (1916)

by Arthur Ransome

Includes twenty traditional tales told by Old Peter to his two gradchildren.

Read it for research. It's a very westernized approach to Russian fairy tales.
It didn't help much but it was short and got me into the "fairy tale" research mood. ( )
  parzivalTheVirtual | Mar 22, 2020 |
I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I still enjoy fairy tales, so these were well met. It was interesting seeing the small differences that exist between cultures - The Golden Fish story, for instance, was nearly identical to an Irish legend that I read several months ago. It has its equivalents in English and American stories as well.

The book was well written, if dated, and would stand up rather strongly to being read aloud. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
little house on hen's legs!, 1 Jan. 2011

This review is from: Old Peter's Russian Tales (Paperback)
Had this read to me as a child and will never forget the witch's cat helping little girl escape being eaten by taking her place at the loom ('are you weaving little niece?' Baba Yaga asked, 'are you weaving my pretty?'. 'I am weaving auntie', says the thin black cat, tangling and tangling while the loom went clickety clack, clickety clack. 'That's not the voice of my little dinner', says Baba Yaga.) Also loved 'the stolen turnips' about an old couple planting on their roof, but the turnips are all stolen by a crowd of queer little children... ( )
  starbox | Sep 23, 2015 |
Looking through my library at home I found that I had not got this on my books I have read. My copy which is bound in blue leather, was chosen by me when I was about 10 years old after being given a book voucher from Sunday School.

The dog chewed it, and it is looking a bit sad, but this book took me through my childhood. I have never tired of reading it and even though it is a few years since I have read through it, each story stays strong in my mind. These are fairy tales which transported me to the far off lands of Russia and captured my imagination like no other book I had as a child.

The fairy tales were different, they felt raw and about real people (obviously not about real people but maybe I wanted them to be).

Out of the book my favourite tale is "The Silver Saucer And The Transparent Apple"

This is a wonderful read for children because it transports their imagination beyond their own life. ( )
  greatbookescapes | Nov 20, 2014 |

greatbookescapes | Nov 20, 2014 |

Ransome, Arthurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jaques, FaithIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitrohkin, DmitriIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Miss Barbara Collingwood
The stories in this book are those that Russian peasants tell to their children and to each other. (Note, 1915)
More than twenty years later, anchored in my boat in an English river, watching the brown sails of the barges towering past the trees, and remembering those summer nights in Russia long ago, I wish a fair wind for the new edition of this book. (Note to the 1938 edition)
Outside in the forest there was deep snow.
"Keep the towel," says the little mouse ; ' I think it will be useful.""

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Also available at Project Gutenberg:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,176,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible