Henri, le Chat Noir: The Existential Musings…

Henri, le Chat Noir: The Existential Musings of an Angst-Filled Cat

by William Braden

3 (1) 2013 (2) 5-stars (1) ACLS (1) beerden's books (1) cat (2) cats (20) cute (1) ennui (1) existentialism (4) fiction (1) gift (4) GR (1) hardcover (1) Henri (2) humor (17) import (1) Los Angeles (1) memoir (1) non-fiction (3) own (1) pets (1) philosophy (7) photographs (1) photography (3) picture books for adults (1) read (2) satire (1) to-read (3) toget (1)

Fun fact: both my husband and I independently selected, wrapped, and gave this book to Veronica, because she is fond of existentialism, and French things, and cats. WE were both right! Yay, us.

Veronica's copy, natch ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
I cannot remember were I saw mention of this book - I can only assume either somewhere on LT or in one of the book-related email spam I receive on a regular basis - but the thought of a existential, angst-filled cat seems reasonable to me so I decided to read it. As a collection of photos with thought captions, this was a fun, quick read. Braden has given Henri the perfect voice to pair with his aloof, disdainful facial expressions and body language that only a cat can pull off with full aplomb. What adds to the fun is that not only does Henri disdain the humans, he tends to look down on his fellow feline house companions as lacking his level of intelligence, referring to one cat as the "white imbecile". In Henri's own words, "If I am referred to as a deep thinker, it is only because the majority of cats are barely concerned with thought at all." Ouch! ;-)

Having enjoyed the book, I then had fun watching the videos on the Henri, Le Chat Noir YouTube channel and his Twitter feed while drinking my morning coffee. I know understand why Henri is the internet sensation the book says he is. Waxing philosophical with a wry, sarcastic wit has its appeal. As Henri states: A vast universe of metaphysical truth lies undiscovered all around us, yet I'm supposed to be placated by chasing a little bit of string?
-----
My spiritual cup is not so easily filled.
  lkernagh | Jul 27, 2015 |
Short, amusing, unpretentious but well done satire of French existentialism. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
YouTube comes alive and it's really cute.
  amyem58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Really enjoyable snapshot of cats and philosophy that had me laughing out loud. I'm sure the smug superiority of Henri is reflected in much of the feline race. I especially enjoyed his barbed comments about "the white imbecile," his fellow feline housemate. My only complaint is that the black book pages reflect a strong glare, so you have to hold the book at an angle or lean over it to see properly. ( )
  Starsister12 | Jan 17, 2014 |

"A gift book with a collection of photos and quotes from Henri, the existential cat who has shared his ennui with millions of viewers of his short films and has an impressive social media following"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible