The Twins (2013)

by Saskia Sarginson

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All (6)
The Twins by Saskia Sarginson
This book is about the bond between twins. In one neighborhood in the 1970's there is a family with two twin girls raised by their mother who becomes a drunk.
The girls go out into the forest and play in the fairy house with a set of twin boys from town. Later on as time goes by we find out some details as to why one of the girls is in the hospital and one of the boys is dead. I found this to be a dark book but really loved the detailed descriptions of the forest and the things
found there-although gory at times it went with the scenery and made the book what it is. Mother meets up with a teacher who has a daughter and they are going to, over time and dating, get married. Events occur and the whole thing goes awry. The book is set in England, which I have no understanding as to the scenery and social things there but I did enjoy the story lines of the characters. Especially liked Dot and all the talk of drawing. Love to hear of others using their hands-doing something productive.
I received this book from Net Galley and Random House in exchange for my honest review.
0749958677 ( )
  jbarr5 | Aug 27, 2013 |
I know many people who hate reading books that are told in multiple points of view. I happen to love it. I feel like I get a more rounded picture in my head. This book is not only told in multiple points of view but also alternates between first and third person.

This is the story of two twins who lived with their mother who was a hippy. She had originally lived in a commune and then moved the kids into a cabin in the woods. She kind of let them do their own thing. They spent a lot of time in the woods. It is there that they met twin brother Michael and John. Then something terrible happens. Their mother dies and they go to live with an aunt.
Isolte, called Issy has grown up to be very successful. Her twin Viola has battled an eating disorder. As she is in the hospital Issy decides to help her. The only way is to go back to their childhood home and face the demons that are keeping Viola in this state of self-destruction.

Issy's chapters are told in third person and deal with present time which happens to be 1987. Viola's chapters are told in first person as flashbacks to 1972. There are many secrets to be uncovered for both of the to heal properly. There were a lot of things that kept you reading. I love books that are so descriptive. This author has the ability to describe the setting so that you feel you are there or you wish you were. She has also created an emotional read that kept me turning the pages. As I tell my students, a book that can pull you in and make you emotional is a good book. This in my opinion is a great book. ( )
  skstiles612 | Aug 24, 2013 |
I always thought I wanted to be a twin but after finishing The Twins by Saskia Sarginson, I know I really didn’t want to be one. I work with one part of two different sets of twins. Cynthia is the one from the younger set and she is an identical twin but I’m not certain if Tina is an identical twin or not.

I stopped reading this one page from the end. I didn’t realize I was so close it has a reading guide, about the author and about the book at the end. So to say it ends kind of fast is not really true but when I turned the page and found myself at the end I had to go back and reread the page again.

The book was confusing at first because I had to catch onto the fact that each chapter changed to the other twin. Viola and Isolte tell the story and made me want to read it faster and faster but I was afraid I would miss something so I read it slower. It isn’t a murder mystery and it isn’t a horror story but at times it leaves you guessing. I would call it a really good mystery!

I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  lovesdogs | Aug 22, 2013 |
I received an ARC from GoodReads in exchange for an honest review.

This book is difficult for me to review because it's so muddled, I don't know where to begin to describe the story or my opinion of it. The book was described as involving a set of twins who were inseparable until an innocent mistake tore them apart. I witnessed an incident quite similar to the "innocent mistake" these twins were part of when I was younger than they were in the story. Even at that young age, I knew what was happening was no mistake, and it certainly was not innocent. Because of that, I take exception to the girls of this stories being victims of an accident.

The Twins are Isolte and Viola. They are reared by a mother who is irresponsible in her life choices, and as a result her two children grow up without much guidance and without much sense of what responsibility even means. Left to their own devices while living in an isolated area in a ramshackle home, they befriend two boys, also twins. The story moves haphazardly between Isolte and Viola's childhood and young adulthood with clues thrown about here and there describing their mother and her maternal attitudes. Both Viola and Isolte narrate parts of the story; it is often difficult to discern who is doing the telling. It becomes more interesting once they hook up with the twin boys, but even that is told in sketchy fragments.

It seemed to me that the author had an idea for a compelling story about a tragedy that occurs to twins, and how this one deed affects the rest of their lives into adulthood. The question seems to be whether they can get past what happened because of their behavior or whether it will destroy at least one of them permanently. Had there been a more traditional beginning, middle, and end, this might have been a far better book. It also would have been an improvement if the author had given more time and thought to defining her characters instead of wasting so much space nearly dissecting what the landscape was like in the woods surrounding the family home. One example of this really stood out for me -- does anyone know what fermented cuckoo spit smells like? Really?

I normally finish my reviews with a suggestion for who might be interested in the book I'm reviewing. I really don't know who to suggest for this one. Maybe someone who enjoys reading picturesque descriptions of the woods, foliage, and the kinds of odors one encounters there. ( )
  GabbyHayze | Jul 24, 2013 |
The Twins by Saskia Sarginson
The girls go out into the forest and play in the fairy house with a set of twin boys from town. Later on as time goes by we find out somre details as to why one
0749958677 ( )
  jbarr5 | Jun 26, 2013 |

They were inseparable until an innocent mistake tore them apart.

Growing up, Viola and Issy clung to each other in the wake of their mother's eccentricity, as she dragged them from a commune to a tiny Welsh village. They thought the three of them would be together forever.

But an innocent mistake one summer set them on drastically different paths. Now in their twenties, Issy is trying to hold together a life as a magazine art director, while Viola is slowly destroying herself, consumed with guilt over the events they unknowingly set into motion as children.

When it seems that Viola might never recover, Issy returns to the town they haven't seen in a decade, to face her own demons and see what answers, if any, she can find.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:28 -0400)

Inseparable as children, twins Isolte and Viola have grown into very different adults, but are united on their path to unraveling the escalating tragedies of a long ago, half-remembered summer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,995,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible