Afloat by Erin Healy

Afloat

by Erin Healy

616194,696 (4)None

The plot is basically a 70s disaster movie (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, etc) with a strong religious thread through it. The story moves along at a good pace and is never slow or boring. The characters have strong personalities with being caricatures. I did find the introspection a bit overdone, but that's just me.

The religious theme is always there, but it doesn't dominate the story. As long as you aren't offended by the mere mention of God or Jesus, it shouldn't be a problem. ( )
  grandpahobo | Mar 22, 2015 |
Eagle's Talon is a very unique place. Built entirely over water, it's like an oasis away from everyone else. One building is occupied while the rest are being built when tragedy strikes. First a sinkhole appears out of nowhere, almost killing a number of people. Next a storm like no other hits, flooding the site and stranding the people who didn't get swept away. Now the people there must fight to survive, but as secrets start to be revealed the surviving seems to become much more difficult. Everyone is hiding something at a time when trust is vital. On top of that people have been seeing mysterious glowing things in the water below them. What does this mean for the survivors? Will they be able to pull through it all?

This book was very different from what I expected. There were so many elements to it. I found it a little difficult to get into initially. I didn't really understand the technical parts of the buildings, but the book really wastes no time when getting to the meat of the story. I thought I was being given a ton of back story on the characters initially, but then I discovered that they had secrets even beyond what I knew. This added a lot of depth to the story. There is also a fair amount of "action" as it were. With the sinkhole then flood, there are a lot of things going on. Also, people are not spared from the destruction. It really ends up being a tragedy all around.

Beside the human aspect to the book, there is also a bit of the supernatural. This takes the form of mysterious glowing things that some people are seeing in the water. Rather than being frightening though, they seem to be helping the people to find their way and survive. You find out rather early on though what these are, but that really didn't take away from the impact for me. This book is full of suspense and atmosphere. You really get a sense of how difficult it is for these people in the harsh circumstances they find themselves in. I almost didn't want to read it at night, but then I am not really friends with the water so it creeped me out even more. If you are looking for a suspenseful yet thoughtful book, check this one out.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Jun 13, 2013 |
Afloat is the third book I have read by Erin Healy. With her complex plots, emphasis on setting and well-drawn characters, she never disappoints. Afloat is another winner for this talented author. Not a quick or easy read, it is a book that will make you focus and think. Don’t pick this one up unless you have time to devote to becoming immersed in a riveting read.

Vance is an architect with a dream. After enduring a tragedy while a teenager and years of alcoholism, he is on the cusp of a brilliant future. His groundbreaking and innovative homes built on floating platforms are sure to dazzle homebuyers and investors alike. But he doesn’t foresee a disaster like no other that will impact that dream, his life and the lives that are in his keeping. Danielle loves her son and is determined to provide security at any cost, even at the expense of her own identity. Faced with life threatening circumstances, she has to determine which man in her life to trust. Vance, Danielle and Danielle’s son Simeon are among the remnant that must decide how to survive the ordeal they face.

Afloat combines the best of disaster scenarios — upheaval of the natural world, fear and betrayal — with a supernatural element that makes the reader examine all the twists and turns of the plot. Just what is at work in Eagle’s Talon and is it something that can be understood or does it have to be taken by faith? The pasts of the two main characters impact their present so much, causing them to doubt, yet strengthening their resolve at the same time. The setting of the book changes from peaceful haven to deadly foe within the space of a few days and keeps the characters off balance. The secondary characters are motivated by greed, fear, anger and self-preservation and impact the survival of them all. As I said, a complex read that makes the reader think.

Afloat is another great book by Erin Healy.

Recommended.

(Thanks to LitFuse and the publisher for my copy of Afloat. The opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Jun 10, 2013 |
Title: Afloat
Author: Erin Healy
Pages: 368
Year: 2013
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Erin Healy’s writing is a purely brilliant, exceptionally exciting and thoroughly enjoyable. After reading House of Mercy last year, I waited with anticipation for her next thrilling suspense to be published. Here in Afloat, the writer uses various components to weave a tale that includes mystery, murder, suspicion, and supernatural along with themes such as forgiveness with restoration of relationships. The characters learn through tragedy and the constant presence of danger to see themselves as they really are, leaving them to choose whether to embrace a different path or stay the same.
Two brothers, Vance and Pete, share the loss of their father and were torn apart from each other because of unforgiveness, blame and grief. One brother, carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders, seeks solace in alcohol until Zeke shares with him the truth of the only One who is able to carry such a weight. Danielle who has been widowed two years with a little boy, Simeon, believes the lie she grew up…only rely on yourself. Now, can she let go of her selfish nature to do something that would require selflessness?
Ranier is to come and see the units that were being built to float on the water engineered by Vance. Tony, the financial backer, is selling these units at an astronomical price. However, Ranier never comes to view the unit; yet, how is it that Danielle, Tony’s executive assistant, along with a few others sees him on the property while others do not? The water that is a muddy color seems to be illuminated with silver moving objects that some people can see while others can’t. Simeon has faith in Ranier. The single cuff link that he gave to Simeon glows when all other power is cut off during a catastrophe. Now, those left on the cove have no outside contact, no electricity and help seems a million miles away.
Since the one unit, number 12, is the only one habitable, the mystery that at first is hidden begins to be revealed. Through a series of bad decisions and limited paths to travel to freedom, some people are beginning to turn on others with the hope of decreasing the number of survivors. With time running out, one man’s past becomes crystal clear and a last ditch effort may or may not keep his secret from public view.
Plan to spend an afternoon lost in the pages of Afloat for there is so much more beneath the surface than what I have revealed. More characters, adventures, along with a good dose of hope will keep you turning the pages until you’re through. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself exclaiming to a friend that they have got to read this latest work of Erin Healy’s. I eagerly anticipate her next novel and sure hope it is soon!
My rating 5+ stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jun 7, 2013 |
Afloat by Erin Healy is the latest book from this very talented author. A story that has all the fixings for an interesting story. A suspenseful tale of loyalty, faith and trust with a bit of the supernatural. I had a bit of a time at first, I think it was all the characters, I soon started to get into the feel of the story and enjoyed it. I love the way Erin Healy tells a story and the way she leaves the reader thinking after the last page is read. If you are looking for a good book to read and are not put off because it is Christian fiction, I would recommend you give this book a try.
  celticlady53 | May 27, 2013 |

Residents of apartments designed to float in the peaceful cove of a winding river become divided on how best to survive when a sinkhole gives way and torrential rains flood the cove, cutting them off from the rest of the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,095,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible