The Offering: A Novel by Angela Hunt

The Offering: A Novel

by Angela Hunt

It's a little frustrating when the book synopsis gives away almost the entirety of the story. However, that synopsis really sparked my interest in this novel and it kept me reading because the story goes beyond the synopsis to really explore this situation and what a situation it is! How many women can say they have been a surrogate? Furthermore, how many can say they may have accidentally given away their own child? I imagine that this book would be perfect for book clubs especially those that contain mothers. Not everyone may agree with what the main character does or says, but the conversations this book could start would be complex and so incredibly interesting!

It's by no means my favorite book. I didn't quite understand the main character and some of the dialogue felt a tad unrealistic. However, I love that it made me think about a topic that I haven't ever spent a lot of time thinking about. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
I didn't like how easily the character Amanda rationalized her decision to be a gestational carrier for another couple. I was surprised that book didn't explore the regrets that a carrier might have upon giving up a child she carried for someone else. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
Argh. I usually like Angela Hunt's books but this one was preachy and did not move me emotionally at all. The ending was utterly predictable. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
“The Offering” by Angela Hunt was a good book but I did have trouble in the beginning getting into the book and I am not sure why. In the end I really did enjoy the book but it was a slow starter for me. I really did enjoy the authors writing and all the details she put in the book. She didn’t put so many details that you got lost but just enough so that you understood where the characters were coming from. Once I got into the book it was defiantly a page turn and I didn’t stop reading it until I was finished with the book. This book was also different from other books I have read and that made it a great change from the other ones I have been reading. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
I can't really say much outside of what the synopsis shares, but what I can say is Wow! A great word to sum up Angela Hunt's The Offering. I was riveted to this book and paralyzed to my seat the entire time getting lost in the drama and heartbreak of Amanda's world. I adored the relationship she had with her husband and his family and grieved with her during the hard parts even when I knew they were coming.

The Offering was an emotional roller coaster of a book, the writing was fantastic, the story-line amazing. While I wish the marketing had left some mystery in its gripping plotline, as the synopsis gives away over half the plot, it was in the end an amazing read. There are very few Inspy novels that make impressions on me as of late and Hunts realistic, moving and authentic portrayal of the military, marriage, grief and relationships was a breath of fresh air. ( )
  Tinasbookreviews | Jul 30, 2013 |

"From bestselling author Angela Hunt, the heart-wrenching story of a young mother who unknowingly gave away her own child after serving as a surrogate for a childless couple. Amanda Hocking is a typical young wife and mother struggling to make ends meet. She decides to help a childless family by becoming their gestational surrogate, hoping to achieve some financial stability of her own. After a few false starts, Amanda finally gets pregnant with another couple's embryo, but just as she is entering her final month of pregnancy, her soldier husband is killed. Devastated, Amanda goes through the motions trying to regain her equilibrium and raise her daughter alone. Three years later, Amanda finally sees a photograph of the child she carried for the other family. He looks remarkably familiar; is it possible she gave birth to her own biological baby and unknowingly gave him away? When a DNA test confirms her mistake, Amanda must choose between the desires of her grieving heart and what is best for the child she has never truly known"--… (more)

Angela Elwell Hunt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible