The First by Jason Mott

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Some time ago I read The Returned which features an interesting story on how people respond when their deceased family and friends return from the dead. Not as zombies, but they just are there again. Especially that idea I found intriguing.

The First is the first of three prequel short stories that belong with that novel, featuring the story of one of the returned each. In The First the story of the very first of the Returned is told, which I thought was a nice addition to the other book. The story is rather short and I think it would have been a bit better had it been a bit longer, but I think it will make a nice introduction. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
*Cross-posted on BookLikes and Wordpress.

Realistic portrayals of the bureaucratic response to an unexplainable event and the emotional turmoil experienced if you were to find out a dead loved one was in fact alive, drew me in as the scene was set for the rest of the series.

However, upon finishing, I was left feeling a mild mixture of indifference and curiosity, reminding me of the way short stories in anthologies are written; leaving what comes next, or reasons for what takes place, up to the imaginations of readers. Although the last sentence is ominous, indicating a not-so-happy ending.

As I own the other currently published installments in this series, I'll definitely be continuing, especially as there's a TV series based on it in the works. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Just okay. A prequel to The Returned. ( )
  TFS93 | Jan 17, 2014 |
Having already finished reading the book "The Returned" (not published yet, review to come soon), I found out about this short story trilogy. So I went back and read this which is intended to be read as an introduction to the book. It also contains a preview of the novel. In the first chapter of "The Returned" Edmund Blithe is mentioned in one sentence as being the very first reported Returned. This is his story. It is a story of young love, the sadness of fresh grief and the feelings of starting to accept a loved one's death after a year long mourning period. A lovely, beautiful tale that makes one think what one would do if given the chance to spend an unknown amount of time with a dearly cherished loved one who has passed on. It makes me wish I could read the book for the first time again! Go ahead and whet your appetite! ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 17, 2013 |

It's been just over a year since Edmund Blithe died, and just over a month since his fianc ??e, Emily, stopped wearing her engagement ring. Emily has finally begun to move on? Until Edmund mysteriously and inexplicably returns, sending the world - and Emily - into a tailspin. Edmund is only just the beginning. Around the world, people's loved ones are returning from beyond, seeking only to re-enter the lives they left behind. As the world dives deep into uncertainty, Emily and Edmund are determined to find their way back to one another? even if it means risking everything. This is a prequel to Jason Mott's haunting debut 'The Returned', a story of one family given an extraordinary second chance. Listen to more stories of the Returned in 'The Choice' and 'The Sparrow'.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,383,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible