Half the Kingdom: A Novel by Lore Segal

Half the Kingdom: A Novel

by Lore Segal

Could be Spoilers.
I liked this. It is pretty weird & I'm not sure I understood the point. There is no conclusion. What was happening? How was it happening?
She writes pretty dispassionately so it isn't as totally depressing as it might be. And we're all nuts anyway.
I guess I liked the pieces but it didn't feel like it really added up to a book.
  franoscar | Aug 10, 2015 |
This was a one-day read. Short, direct, and humorously painful. ( )
  anitatally | Jan 29, 2015 |
I just didn't understand this book. The premise didn't make any sense. Why are these peculiar people invited into a hospital to investigate an epidemic of dementia? Not only are they peculiar, they are uninteresting. ( )
  theageofsilt | Apr 22, 2014 |
I expected a medical mystery and I got a mess. I didn't like the writing and kept hoping the story would improve. Don't waste your time on this book! ( )
  Coltfan18 | Mar 27, 2014 |
I started off liking this very odd little book It was funny and eccentric but in the end, it got weirder and weirder until it lost me. ( )
  ccayne | Jan 5, 2014 |
Beatrice Jacob Jean David
The doctors, nurses and patients in the overcrowded, too-brightly lit Emergency Room turned toward the commotion.

"A brilliant dark comedy about life, death and growing old in America told with Segal's characteristic humor, crystalline style and deadpan delivery--and her hilarious sense of the absurd. Half the Kingdom is a brilliant dark comedy about life, death and growing old in post-9/11 America--a place where terrorist paranoia and end-of-the-world hysteria masks deeper fears about mortality; a place where the broken medical system leads one character to quip, "Kafka wrote slice-of-life fiction." Characters from Segal's earlier novels are part of the cast whose lives intersect at Manhattan's Cedars of Lebanon emergency room--where doctors have noticed a marked up-tick in Alzheimer victims. People who seemed perfectly lucid just a day earlier exhibit signs of advanced dementia. Is it just normal aging or a coincidence? Is it an epidemic, or a secret terrorist plot? As profoundly moving as Joan Didion's latest non-fiction, and as thoughtful and charming as Diana Athill, Segal's crystalline writing and deep appreciation of the absurd make this most tragic and hilarious novel a joy for all to read"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,140,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible