The Last Sewer Ball by Steven Schindler

The Last Sewer Ball

by Steven Schindler

The Last Sewer Ball by Steven Schindler is about an author, Vinny, returning to the Bronx and reconnecting with his neighborhood, classmates, and parish.

Vinny's return brings to the surface memories of his childhood, from the stickball days to high school. As he hooks up with his friends he decides to track down the truth behind a friend's death.

As the book progresses, the narrative alternates between "Then" and "Now." I found the present story the more compelling of the two. I think that's my problem, stemming from my suburban 1980s childhood, more than any fault in the storytelling. ( )
  pussreboots | Jul 9, 2014 |
The Last Sewer Ball by Steven Schindler is a prime example of the past remembered. Mired firmly in rediscovering ones roots, the story presents the past and an all-too-real present.

The main character, Vinny Schmidt, is back to square one when he finds himself without a home, a family, or a job. As he returns to the Bronx after two decades and begins piecing himself back together, he finds something even more important... A gnawing curiosity about his childhood friend, Whitey Shelley.

As the story develops, the reader is taken back to Vinny's childhood; with all of the illogically optimistic meanderings of childhood up to the erratically angst-filled teenage years, awash with the nostalgic references of the 60's.

Schindler's narrative is quite unique, methodically moving from time and place, absolutely comfortable within the intimate surroundings of the Bronx. Old memories and new actualities perpetuate a deceptively simple prose, while precipitating complex emotions within the reader.

Read the entire review here:
Bookend Chronicles ( )
  gigifrost | Aug 12, 2013 |
Vinny and the boys are back on the Bronx. Not quite a sequel to “Sewer Balls” but involves the same group of characters. This time around Vinny is interested in tracking down his childhood best friend Whitney, who is purposely hiding out because he is wanted for murder. Is Vinny stirring up a hornet’s nest and can he find his former friend before it’s too late?

This is one of those novels that use flashbacks to tell the story, so not only does the reader experience what the gang is going through now, but we see what they were like as teenagers growing up in the Bronx. One says you can never go home again. I found the author’s descriptive narrative quite vivid as it made me feel that I could have been growing in the Bronx with these boys. (I didn’t). And I felt the struggle and the dilemma that Vinny was going through as he tried to locate Whitney. I really wanted to know what the hell was going on with this guy. The author is a good story teller and I recommend this book to those who want to travel to the past. ( )
  grumpydan | May 3, 2013 |

'The Last Sewer Ball' is a 'sort of sequel' to Steven Schindler's cult classic novel, 'Sewer Balls.' Whitey, Vinny and the rest of the kids from the block come back to life on the stoops, streets, and hangouts of the Bronx in the 1960s. Follow them from 'then' til 'now', as secrets that simmered since childhood bubble to the surface and eventually explode when past and present collide with not so instant karma.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:14 -0400)

Vinny is on a quest to track down Whitey after decades apart, to find out what really happened to the childhood friendship they thought would last forever. Could family tragedies, a war, and perhaps even a murder break a bond that was forged long before eighth grade graduation? Secrets that have been simmering for decades bubble to the surface and eventually explode, when past and present collide.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,189,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible