Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables,…

Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, Book 4) (original 1936; edition 1998)

by L.M. Montgomery

Member:jeidai
Title:Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, Book 4)
Authors:L.M. Montgomery
Info:Starfire (1984), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:classics

Anne of Windy Poplars by L. M. Montgomery (1936)

English (50)  Finnish (1)  All languages (51)
This has always been my least favourite book in the Anne series. I think it is because much of the book is told through the letters Anne writes to Gilbert, and I soon lost interest in them. I also think Gilbert should have had a stronger voice. More letters from him to Anne would have been beneficial.

I also wasn't keen on the new characters introduced in this book. There were too many of them, and I felt most didn't have a significant role to play. Overall, I found "Anne of Windy Willows" a disappointing read, but I am still keen to continue the series. I do like Anne the more she matures. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Oct 12, 2018 |
Montgomery's description of nature and Anne's appreciation of her surroundings always makes me appreciates the simple things around me more. Gilbert is almost silent in this book. Anne writes to him but you don't read his replies. He makes appearances once or twice but you don't hear him. This seems a deliberate move by Montgomery as we will probably read a lot more of Gilbert later. Nevertheless, there are still interesting characters to keep the reader interested, such as Katherine Brooks and Rebecca Dew. ( )
  siok | Sep 16, 2018 |
This wasn't my favorite book in the series. I wasn't a huge fan of the letters. ( )
  ang709 | Aug 26, 2018 |
It’s easy to see why this series has staying power, even in today’s high-tech world. The characters are rich in their development and the plot remains interesting and entertaining. There is an ample amount of humor as well as some heart-wrenching moments. This audio version was especially delightful. ( )
  Maydacat | Mar 12, 2018 |
This is my least favorite of all the series, I think. It took me 3 tries before I could even finish it for the first time!! :( It is informative from a literary standpoint to watch how Montgomery unfolds the story through letters --from Anne, so they are from her perspective, which is completely new to the series-- through the entire first 2/3 of the book! But it can get a little boring, and I almost always get bogged down. ( )
  Liladillerauthor | Jan 20, 2018 |

L. M. Montgomeryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stahl, Ben F.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To friends of Anne everywhere
To the Friends of Anne Everywhere
(Letter from Anne Shirley, B.A., Principal of Summerside High School, to Gilbert Blythe, medical student at Redmond College, Kingsport.)
Dearest, Isn't that an address!
It's wonderful to be able to give happiness to somebody. It has made me feel so rich, giving Pauline this day.
'Anne of Windy Willows' was published in the US and Canada as 'Anne of Windy Poplars' because the American Publisher thought it too similar to 'Wind in the Willows'. 'Anne of Windy Willows' was used outside of the US and Canada and there are also minor textural differences.

Available online at Project Gutenberg Australia:

Anne Shirley has left Redmond College behind to begin a new job and a new chapter of her life away from Green Gables. Now she faces a new challenge: the Pringles. They're known as the royal family of Summerside - and they quickly let Anne know she is not the person they had wanted as principal of Summerside High School. But as she settles into the cozy tower room at Windy Poplars, Anne finds she has great allies in the widows Aunt Kate and Aunt Chatty - and in their irrepressible housekeeper, Rebecca Dew. As Anne learns Summerside's strangest secrets, winning the support of the prickly Pringles becomes only the first of her triumphs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:27 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 190943860X, 1909438618

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,736,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible