Just One Evil Act: A Lynley Novel (Inspector…

Just One Evil Act: A Lynley Novel (Inspector Lynley) (edition 2013)

by Elizabeth George

Member:jchen147
Title:Just One Evil Act: A Lynley Novel (Inspector Lynley)
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Dutton Adult (2013), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 736 pages
Collections:2013 Book Log

Just One Evil Act by Elizabeth George

English (40)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (42)
Not at all what I read a Lynley/Havers book for. Much of the book takes place in Italy, not involving them at all, and the characters are as if written by another author. ( )
  cherilove | Jan 22, 2017 |
I don't know why the fictional characters (Linley et al) like Barbara. I find her awful. ( )
  KRoan | Jun 3, 2016 |
While I enjoyed the story, for the most part, at 719 pages this was 200-300 pages too long. And I can understand including a line or two in Italian to set a scene, but the extended passages in that language were distracting and frustrating. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
I listened to this on audiobook. It should come before "Believing The Lie" by Elizabeth George. At the end of "Believing," George begins a tickler that leads into the next audiobook. It wasn't a huge issue but I should have listened in the correct order. Again, though, another character-driven police procedural with Inspector Thomas Lynley and DS Barbara Havers as his sidekick. They are oddly matched and she is quite abrasive, which makes scenes with her in them quite fun. He is a stick in the mud but has experienced deeply tragic circumstances that make all that happens quite touching. I recommend it for a good listen. Both books are quite long. ( )
  mmignano11 | Jan 3, 2016 |
As I said in my reviews of the previous two Lynley/Havers mysteries by George, this book was too long and had too many subplots, too many descriptions of locations and houses, and too many peripheral characters. As I also already said, I read these mainly to find out what happens to characters I have grown to like. And as I also already said, I guess George's editors are scared to take her in hand after all those best-sellers. I was skimming through much of this.

Basically, the plot deals with Barbara Havers' neighbors, Taymullah Azhar and his nine-year-old daughter Hadiyyah, of whom Barbara is very fond. In the previous novel, the mother, Angelina, had returned after abandoning the family years earlier. But at the start of this novel, she absconds with Hadiyyah and Azhar turns to Barbara in his grief and despair to find her. She finds a private detective, and Azhar hires him. Months later, Angelina and her new lover, Lorenzo, show up on Azhar's doorstep, furious at him because they believe he is behind the kidnapping of Hadiyyah from a market in Lucca, Italy. Of course, he denies it; he was at a microbiology conference in Germany at the time (he teaches microbiology and does research at a London college). They all fly to Lucca to search for her, and eventually Lynley is sent over as a liaison officer, because Barbara has connected with a tabloid journalist who stirs the pot. Barbara discovers that the private detective found out that Angelina had Haddiyah in Lucca earlier and told Azhar and that, indeed, Azhar may have arranged for someone to "kidnap" her while he was in Germany with an unimpeachable alibi, to keep her safe, and to deliver him to her after he went to Lucca. Many many many complications, some of a murderous nature, ensue.

There are subplots with the private detective and his assistant and a freelancer who they employ to remove computer trails, there are subplots with the search for other lovers Angelina had, there are numerous subplots with the tabloid journalist who unsurprisingly turns out to supremely sleazy, there are subplots with the various family members of Azhar and Angelina, there are subplots with the detective Havers is assigned to assist when Lynley goes to Italy, there are subplots with where Hadiyyah is hidden, and there are multiple other subplots and characters who don't need to be in this insanely bloated book. And to top it off, there is a lot in Italian -- OK, I get that the author is showing off her Italian but really, most of it could have been in English.

After three of these, I doubt I'll be reading any more Lynley/Havers mysteries.
  rebeccanyc | Jan 2, 2016 |
The world is still deceived with ornament.
In law, what plea so tainted and corrupt
But, season'd with a gracious voice,
Obsucres the show of evil?

The Merchant of Venice

twenty-five years superlative reader
15 NOVEMBER
Earls Court
London

Sitting on a plastic chair inside Brompton Hall among a crowd of two hundred shouting individuals - all dressed in what had to be called alternative garb - was the last thing Thomas Lynley had ever expected to find himself doing.

#1 New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth George delivers another masterpiece of suspense in her Inspector Lynley series: a gripping child-in-danger story that tests Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers like never before.

Barbara is at a loss: The daughter of her friend Taymullah Azhar has been taken by her mother, and Barbara can’t really help—Azhar had never married Angelina, and his name isn’t on Hadiyyah’s, their daughter’s, birth certificate. He has no legal claim. Azhar and Barbara hire a private detective, but the trail goes cold.

Azhar is just beginning to accept his soul-crushing loss when Angelina reappears with shocking news: Hadiyyah is missing, kidnapped from an Italian marketplace. The Italian police are investigating, and the Yard won’t get involved, until Barbara takes matters into her own hands — at the risk of her own career.

As both Barbara and her partner, Inspector Thomas Lynley, soon discover, the case is far more complex than a typical kidnapping, revealing secrets that could have far-reaching effects outside of the investigation.  With both her job and the life of a little girl on the line, Barbara must decide what matters most, and how far she’s willing to go to protect it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

In this gripping child-in-danger story, Detective Sergeant Barbara Havers and her partner, Inspector Thomas Lynley, investigate the kidnapping of a friend's little girl from an Italian marketplace. With both her job and the life of a little girl on the line, Barbara must decide what matters most, and how far she's willing to go to protect it.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,081,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible