Long Night Moon by Cynthia Rylant

Long Night Moon

by Cynthia Rylant

Other authors: Mark Siegel (Illustrator)

15320113,770 (4.01)1

In my opinion, this is a great book for children who are learning new, creative writing skills. Long Night Moon is an almost poetic book that tells the story of how Native Americans used to name their different moons. The text contains an abundance of figurative language that helps to paint a picture into the reader's mind. One example of this in the book would be, "In February a Snow Moon glows white, sharp, in a cool, crackling breath." In addition to its very descriptive language, Long Night Moon has very detailed illustrations which perfectly complement the text. I would most definitely consider including this book in my classroom. ( )
  CassieLThompson | Sep 6, 2016 |
This book allows a great opportunity for students to learn about adjectives. There are many descriptive words and detailed illustrations that draw the reader into the text. I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars because I believe that I can use this book for educational purposes in my elementary classroom. I would recommend this book for 3rd or 4th graders. The illustrations in this book provoke many different senses and creates exquisite visuals for the reader. The poetic versus compare what nature is like during each month of the year. It is educational and intriguing for both children and adults. ( )
  Jcomfo1 | Apr 11, 2016 |
Oh, I love this book. Each page is a different moon—January is the Stormy Moon, May is the Flower Moon, November is the Frosty Moon—and the charcoal illustrations are just beautiful. I want to own this book and read it every month with the full moon. ( )
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
The author presents 12 poems giving the Native American names of the moon: January the Stormy Moon; May the Flower Moon; November the Frosty Moon; December the Long Night Moon. This is a nice story told in poems with nice pictures, However, ALL of the Native Americans I know have 13 moons and the names presented were not of any particular tribe that I could discern (but I could have missed something presented outside of the story). I did not read this book in storytime, it was too lengthy for both Toddlers 7 Preschoolers.

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Twelve prospectives of the moon, in the same place. Slow moving book, dark illustrations. Nice book on night life. ( )
  daphnejohnson | Jun 23, 2015 |
Rather, Rylant, whose ethnicity we might safely assume is not Native American, assigns her own imaginative names and behaviors to twelve of the full moons in a year...

Cynthia Rylantprimary authorall editionscalculated
Siegel, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Have you ever stopped to consider what might be revealed in one spot over one year by twelve unique and exquisite full moons?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

Text and illustrations depict the varied seasonal full moons that change and assume personalities of their own throughout the year.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,673,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible