The Great Dissent: How Oliver Wendell Holmes…

The Great Dissent: How Oliver Wendell Holmes Changed His Mind--and Changed… (2013)

by Thomas Healy

46None250,209 (4.21)4

A well-written and timely reminder of the history of free speech and its importance. This book has valuable reminders for present times and even this benighted island. ( )
  iamamro | Feb 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After reading the first chapter of this book, I wasn't quite sure if this was going to be one of those books where the author tries to be too clever and just confuses his reader, but then the book quickly became engrossing and very readable. This is an excellent book to read for someone - like this reviewer - who is halfway through law school and, as a result, has a better understanding of how law is actually made. Mr. Healy does an excellent job of revealing how Justice Holmes's personality and the events of the early twentieth century combined to change the world. Reading this book nearly a century after the great dissent, it's hard to imagine how the conception of free speech was so different, but readers of this book will have a much greater appreciation of the evolution of the law. ( )
  krepitch | Aug 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Going into this book, I did not know much about the topics which were covered. O.W. Holmes was a mystery to me. I knew who he was, but not 'who' he was and what he stood for. I did not know much of the background on our right to free speech. I mean, how entertaining can learning about free speech be, right? Well as it turns out, it can be quite entertaining.

Thomas Healy has done a great job with this subject. He has fleshed out who Oliver Wendell Holmes was, which is important in relation to the story and to his fateful decisions he makes. The cast of characters is not overwhelming and the tangents and opinions I believe were kept to a minimum. His history of free speech I thought was well thought out and gave me a good understanding of what the legal community thought of it at the time. His sources he used seem to have been chosen with care. His writing is clear and concise which is all one can ask for.

Is this the greatest work of non-fiction you will read all year? Probably not, after all it still is not on the most exciting topic regarding not one of the most exciting figures history has produced. But it isn't all bad either and that is quite the credit to Mr. Healy. He took a potential lame duck and turned it into a prized fowl. ( )
  Schneider | Aug 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Legislative history--the process of determining what a law was intended to mean--is generally very dull stuff: reading memos, committee reports, and testimony transcripts is only fun for the first few hours. Healy, though, teaches law (at Seton Hall University), so he both knows how to do that sort of research, and how to make the work engaging.

Which is fortunate, because his subject is one of our most important laws: the first amendment to the United States Constitution, which guarantees our rights of expression, religion, and peaceable assembly. While this law has been on the books since 1791, it was only in 1919 that we began to understand it as actually limiting the government's ability to prosecute people for what they say. That we can now disagree openly about government policy or protest against its actions is directly due to a change in the way Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr, interpreted the words.

This book, unfortunately, comes too late. By recounting one judge's evolution, occurring during the high communist paranoia after World War I, Healy shows the importance of this debate--and the importance of standing against governmental tyranny, something sorely lacking in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, when fear of terrorism and the resulting Patriot Act chilled discourse; something we still struggle with as the NSA vacuums us every scrap of electronic data; something we traded for a false feeling of security. Holmes' courage--to change his mind, to stand against the majority, and to support freedom over fear--should stand as an inspiration for us all, and Healy presents it as a readable political thriller. This should be required reading in high school civics classes.
  EverettWiggins | Jul 30, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I opened this book, read the first few pages, closed it and then went to get a pencil. This, I knew, was going to be one of those books where I wanted to do a lot of underlining and note-taking.

The Great Dissent follows the path that Oliver Wendell Holmes took from 1918 to 1919 as he wrestled with the issue of the kinds of speech the government protects and the kinds that it can prosecute. Author Thomas Healy does a masterful job of taking someone with a novice understanding of the points of view involved (like me!) and explaining the nuances of the differences. Through careful analysis of legal opinions and letters to and from colleagues, Healy exposes the arguments that Holmes considered as his beliefs transformed from the Constitution being society's protector to the individual's protector.

The story weaves its way through the many free speech cases that reached the Supreme Court as a result of the Espionage and Sedition Acts enacted during the course of the First World War, and as much a part of the story as Holmes' journey is the story of his friends and colleagues who revered their old friend, but who had different opinions on free speech and wanted to sway Holmes to their way of thinking as he worked his way through the docket.

One often believes that the way things are is the way things have always been and I always find it fascinating when I run up against evidence where that's not the case. So it was with this book as Healy chronicled the interpretation of the First Amendment over the years and the cases that determined the generally understood meaning of the Amendment at that time. Good history all around!

I also enjoyed the serious, yet congenial back and forth that Holmes and his friends employed as they presented their arguments to each other. They all seemed to genuinely like each other while often having diametrically opposed opinions. It made me once again bemoan the present state of disagreement where two sides tend not to engage each other at all, but engage with their like-minded compatriots in calling the other side names. And Holmes' willingness to listen to opposing opinions and alter his on point of view when he felt it needed to be altered was also admirable.

The Great Dissent is a fine, engaging book on a dense subject that still is accessible to the layman. Highly recommended! ( )
  spounds | Jul 11, 2013 |

A gripping intellectual history reveals how conservative justice Oliver Wendell Holmes became a free-speech advocate and established the modern understanding of the First Amendment

The right to express one’s political views seems an indisputable part of American life. After all, the First Amendment proudly proclaims that Congress can make no law abridging the freedom of speech. But well into the twentieth century, that right was still an unfulfilled promise, with Americans regularly imprisoned merely for protesting government policies. Indeed, our current understanding of free speech comes less from the First Amendment itself than from a most unlikely man: the Supreme Court justice Oliver Wendell Holmes. A lifelong conservative, he disdained all individual rights. Yet in 1919, it was Holmes who wrote a court opinion that became a canonical statement for free speech as we know it.

Why did Holmes change his mind? That question has puzzled historians for almost a century. Now, with the aid of newly discovered letters and memos, the law professor Thomas Healy reconstructs in vivid detail Holmes’s journey from free-speech skeptic to First Amendment hero. It is the story of a remarkable behind-the-scenes campaign by a group of progressives to bring a legal icon around to their way of thinking—and a deeply touching human narrative of an old man saved from loneliness and despair by a few unlikely young friends.

Beautifully written and exhaustively researched, The Great Dissent is intellectual history at its best, revealing how free debate can alter the life of a man and the legal landscape of an entire nation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:32:52 -0400)

Based on newly discovered letters and memos, this riveting scholarly history of the conservative justice who became a free-speech advocate and established the modern understanding of the First Amendment reconstructs his journey from free-speech skeptic to First Amendment hero.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Great Dissent by Thomas Healy was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible