The Marriage Whisperer by Patt Hollinger…

The Marriage Whisperer (edition 2013)

by Patt Hollinger Pickett

Member:DrT
Title:The Marriage Whisperer
Authors:Patt Hollinger Pickett
Info:Msi Press (2013), Paperback, 214 pages
Collections:Your library, Psychology

The Marriage Whisperer by

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Marriage Whisperer is a short but dense book that looks to give solutions to 70 common marriage problems dealing mostly with communication, emotions, chores and sex. Each short section begins with an example of a couple with the same problem. The author then gives several possible solutions, tips and frequently ways to see the other person's point of view. Often the suggestions are common sense; however, more than once I was impressed with the author's keen insight. There is no biography nor are there any footnotes, so I tend to think that there is no science behind her solutions, just what she has gained from observations of 20 years of marriage counseling. There are many diagrams in the book, but they are more confusing than helpful.

I'm sure that every marriage has at least one problem that is dealt with in 'The Marriage Whisperer'. For a new point of view or for some suggestions you may not have thought about, it's a good reference. ( )
  spyrunner | Mar 13, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Pickett's Marriage Whisperer book is a "how to" manual on making most any relationship better. Much of it relates to marital partners or couples residing together, however, the nuggets of advice may also apply to parental/child relationships, too. I especially found the chapters on communication and disagreements helpful and easy to understand. Pickett took each problem area and, with her easy writing style, broke the problem down and then provided step-by-step instructions on how to work through the difficulty - noting instructions for each party involved. From the advice given she seems to possess a great deal of experience. I highly recommend this book for those who may be struggling in a relationship or for those who are new to a relationship and want to brush up on their communication skills and be more proactive. ( )
  shellyup47 | Dec 27, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is practical and real. Full of situations that I think really happen but no-one is prepared to talk about! I would recommend this book to anyone in a long-term relationship, not simply for those in crisis. That being said, I think the book could benefit from some hard editing or contribution of a co-author. On many occasions I become "lost" by the book's layout and structure - but it's testimony to the content that I persevered and pushed through. I can't wait for the second improved edition! ( )
  lissandjim | Nov 16, 2013 |
Some pretty good tips for communication in here. I'm not married, but in an almost 8-year relationship, so most advice was still sound. ( )
  sixteendays | Oct 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Marriage Whisperer is a practical, accessible book for married couples seeking to improve their relationship. The chapters, on helpful topics such as communication, trust, intimacy, roles, etc. offer relevant illustrations, practical insights and excellent discussion starters for couples. I have begun working through it with my wife and we are finding it very helpful in enhancing our intimacy and communication, in particular. I also perform wedding ceremonies and am trained to do pre-marital counseling for the couples whose ceremonies I perform, and will be enthusiastically recommending this excellent book to this whom I counsel. Highly recommended! ( )
  peacemover | Oct 13, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Marriage Whisperer: Tips to Improve Your Relationship Overnight by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,900,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible