Someone by Alice McDermott

Someone

by Alice McDermott

Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín (Ciruelo)
    Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (Betty.Ann.Beam)
    Betty.Ann.Beam: They both deal with the Irish immigrant experience. I would suggest that you read Angela's Ashes first since Someone is rather difficult to decifer and may take several readings. Brooklyn by Colm Toibin is also in the same vein. They are all stories that bely tne American Dream.… (more)
    The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields (tandah)
    We are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both books relate the life story of an Irish American woman in plain, but exceptionally well written language.
    Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (tandah)

Joy's review: Warning: nothing really happens in this book; it's about the life of an everyday person. It is wonderful, but much better read just enjoying every word without waiting for a 'big event'. McDermott writes beautifully- fully formed characters, vivid places and scenes come immediately to life. We had a wonderful discussion at book club about life, death and what makes you 'someone'. ( )
  konastories | Apr 21, 2015 |
Several memories or maybe vignettes during the life of a average women, who comes alive and seems much more than average by the end of the book. Sweet and well told, I felt like I could drop by her house and find the teacups to make myself a cup of tea, and be right at home. As long as I had a story to tell. ( )
  Lilalu | Mar 6, 2015 |
I found the book tough to get into, but in the end it was well worth the read. It was chosen for a bookclub and the group discussion almost makes me want to go back and read it again. The jumps between different times in Marie's life makes it a little hard to follow if you are reading in a single sitting (quite possible, since it is just over 200 pages long). Reportedly, it took McDermott 7 years to complete it, including a complete rewrite switching from third to first person narration. It was worth the wait. I would recommend it highly. ( )
  Jcambridge | Feb 15, 2015 |
plain and unremarkable Marie finds her way, the path and connections that unfold are lovely and remarkable.
  objectplace | Jan 17, 2015 |
This is my 2nd Alice McDermott novel. She is an author who won a National Book Award for Charming Billy which I enjoyed. This book about Marie covers her life through various entry points. It is not written chronologically. The style is sparse and the writing is excellent. This is simply a story about a person's life and deals with what is like to have family and be part of a community. It is not for everyone so if you are looking for a plot and action, then this is not for you, but as a character study and a good insight into someone's life, it is a good read. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Jan 5, 2015 |
There are many reasons to write a novel.

One — maybe the best — is to bear compassionate witness to what it is to be alive, in this place, this time. This kind of novel is necessary to us. We need to know about other lives: This kind of knowledge expands our understanding, it enlarges our souls. There are differences between us, but there are things we share. Fear and vulnerability, joy and passion, the capacity for love and pain and grief: Those are common to us all. Those are the things that great novelists explore. And it’s this exploration, made with tenderness, wisdom and caritas, that’s at the heart of Alice McDermott’s masterpiece.

Each slide, each scene, from the ostensibly inconsequential to the clearly momentous, is illuminated with equal care. The effect on the reader is of sitting alongside the narrator, sharing the task of sifting the salvaged fragments of her life, watching her puzzle over, rearrange and reconsider them — and at last, but without any particular urgency or certitude, tilting herself in the direction of finally discerning their significance.

This is a quiet business, but it’s the sense-making we all engage in, the narrative work that allows us to construct a coherent framework for our everyday existence. It’s also a serious business, the essential work of an examined life.

A fully realized portrait of one woman’s life in all its complexity, by the National Book Award–winning author

An ordinary life—its sharp pains and unexpected joys, its bursts of clarity and moments of confusion—lived by an ordinary woman: this is the subject of Someone, Alice McDermott’s extraordinary return, seven years after the publication of After This. Scattered recollections—of childhood, adolescence, motherhood, old age—come together in this transformative narrative, stitched into a vibrant whole by McDermott’s deft, lyrical voice.
     Our first glimpse of Marie is as a child: a girl in glasses waiting on a Brooklyn stoop for her beloved father to come home from work. A seemingly innocuous encounter with a young woman named Pegeen sets the bittersweet tone of this remarkable novel. Pegeen describes herself as an “amadan,” a fool; indeed, soon after her chat with Marie, Pegeen tumbles down her own basement stairs. The magic of McDermott’s novel lies in how it reveals us all as fools for this or that, in one way or another.
     Marie’s first heartbreak and her eventual marriage; her brother’s brief stint as a Catholic priest, subsequent loss of faith, and eventual breakdown; the Second World War; her parents’ deaths; the births and lives of Marie’s children; the changing world of her Irish-American enclave in Brooklyn—McDermott sketches all of it with sympathy and insight. This is a novel that speaks of life as it is daily lived; a crowning achievement by one of the finest American writers at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:17 -0400)

"The story of a Brooklyn-born woman's life - her family, her neighborhood, her daily trials and triumphs - from childhood to old age"--Provided by the publisher.

256 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,484,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible