The Supreme Macaroni Company by Adriana…

The Supreme Macaroni Company

by Adriana Trigiani

The Supreme Macaroni Company called to me, both because it was by Adriana Trigiani and because of the Italian heritage I knew would run deep in it. I'm always fascinated by glimpses into the lives of others. I also love Trigiani's ability to bring a whole family, an entire clan of loving, swearing, supportive people, to life. I was ready to get lost in another of her books.

Keep in mind I had no idea this was the third book in a series. Apparently Valentine's story has been going on for two books previous to this, and therefore I was coming in at the end. On the bright side, it didn't even register that I'd missed anything at first. Valentine and Gianluca were easy to fall in step with. I was a little daunted by their age difference initially, but their family dynamic really drew me in.

What kept me from falling in love with The Supreme Macaroni Company was that everything moved so quickly. Time flew as Valentine moved from being engaged, to being a married woman and beyond. I adored how much passion she had for her work. I wanted to see more of her creations. More of her personality. It all felt swallowed up by her relationship with Gianluca. Maybe if I had read the first two books I'd feel differently. Perhaps what I was missing happened in books past. All I know is that I ended the book feeling a bit cheated.

It's true that it's harder to judge The Supreme Macaroni Company, simply because I didn't know this was the last book in a series. Still, I can't deny that I enjoyed the ride. The relationship between Valentine and Gianluca was bittersweet, and I did love the family as well. If nothing else I know I'll be going to back to read the two books before this.
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This is the third installment of the Valentine Trilogy by Trigiani. Valentine and Gianluca became engaged in the previous book. So this book begins with the planning and execution of their wedding which takes place a mere two months after the engagement. Marriage, honeymoon, and business take center stage with a background of family squabbling and traumas. Shortly after the marriage, the family learns that their shoe manufacturer is going out of business and the family decides to venture into the shoe manufacturing business to create the Supreme Macaroni Company. This venture and another unforeseen tragedy turns Valentine’s life upside down.

Important events in Valentine’s life come and go quickly but the pace of the book itself does not. I was a bit disappointed in the book and even felt let down by its less than compelling narrative.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
In this third book of the series, Valentine is getting married. While on her honeymoon, she discovers something that could be very bad for her shoe-making business and has to figure out what to do about it.

I didn’t like her husband, Gianluca. I actually agreed with most of her thoughts, actions, etc, except I couldn’t understand why they rushed into their marriage and didn’t talk about many of the things that ended up creating conflict beforehand. I’m not sure why I didn’t like Gianluca, but every time he did something nice, I had this foreboding feeling. Overall, the story kept me interested. I was listening to the audio and I think the narrator did a good job with accents and such. Overall, I’m rating it ok. Not as good as the others in the series, though; the first book was definitely the best one. ( )
  LibraryCin | Sep 17, 2018 |
Description
For over a hundred years, the Angelini Shoe Company in Greenwich Village has relied on the leather produced by Vechiarelli & Son in Tuscany. This business partnership provides the twist of fate for Valentine Roncalli to fall in love with Gianluca Vechiarelli, a tanner with a complex past . . . and a secret. But after the wedding celebrations are over, Valentine wakes up to the hard reality of juggling the demands of a new business and the needs of her new family.

I didn’t really like the relationship between Valentine and her husband. They didn’t seem to talk much except when an important issue came up that they’d never discussed before and then they’d get into an argument about it. There was a lot of flowery descriptions about shoes and food that seemed like filler at times. There were some humorous interactions between Valentine and her family. This wasn’t a bad book but it wasn’t interesting to me. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jul 9, 2018 |
THE SUPREME MACARONI COMPANY by Adriana Trigiani
Way too much navel gazing for me this time around. I usually enjoy Trigiani’s books, this one just seemed to spend too much time on Valentine’s inner thoughts and self-recriminations.
You do find out why she chose the title three fourth of the way through the book. A new factory in the US already has a name and she keeps it – kind of clever but not enough to rescue this book.
2 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Jul 26, 2017 |

When a secret about her business partner and lover is revealed during her family's celebration of The Feast of the Seven Fishes, Valentine Roncalli must make life-altering choices as she fights for everything she wants while sustaining her family's business and enjoying life to the fullest.… (more)

Adriana Trigiani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,550,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible