Emily Dickinson Collected Poems (Courage…

Emily Dickinson Collected Poems (Courage Literary Classics) (edition 1991)

by Emily Dickinson

Member:roxannehalpine
Title:Emily Dickinson Collected Poems (Courage Literary Classics)
Authors:Emily Dickinson
Info:Courage Books (1991), Hardcover
Tags:poetry

Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily Dickinson (Author)

I am marking this as finished but really I had to return it to the library before I was done. I read more than half and have read many of these poems before in other collections & anthologies so I feel comfortable with my rating. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 6, 2017 |
The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson contains a sizeable sample of the total works of the reclusive poet, who only came to prominence after her death. Containing 593 poems separated into five different themes, roughly a third of her overall productivity, this collection gives the reader a wonderful look into the talent of a woman who hid her art not only from the world but also her own family. Besides nearly 600 poems of Dickinson’s work, the reader is given a 25 page introduction to the poet and an analysis of her work by Dr. Rachel Wetzsteon who helps reveal the mysterious artist as best as she can and help the reader understand her work better. Although neither Wetzsteon’s introduction and analysis nor Dickinson’s work is wanting, the fact that this collection gives only a sample of the poet’s work is its main and only flaw. ( )
  mattries37315 | Apr 16, 2017 |
She wasn't appreciated by her family or the public of that day, but contrary to what I once assumed, this did not make her bitter. Poetry tends to be either traditional and soothing or modern and frayed, and Emily is definitely traditional and soothing. She bore no ill will to anybody, regardless of her social circumstances. They may not have liked her, but she liked them.

............

I mean, there can be, there can be a certain sadness there, but it is such a shy and tender sadness, that it isn't at all like the way people talk. These days we are used to people shouting, and sometimes you forget what a shy girl is really like. ( )
  walkthemoon89 | May 7, 2016 |
As with any collected works, there are always going to be hits and misses. My favourite sections were Life, and Time and Eternity. Nature was my least favourite and the others were decent but didn't stick out for me. I loved any of her poems that seemed to have a more philosophical theme, like immortality. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |

Dickinson, EmilyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bianchi, Martha DickinsonEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gesner, GeorgeIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Higginson, Thomas Wentworthsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Todd, Mabel LoomisEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wetzsteon, RachelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I measure every grief I meet
With analytic eyes;
I wonder if it weighs like mine,
Or has an easier size.

I wonder if they bore it long,
Or did it just begin?
I could not tell the date of mine,
It feels so old a pain.
"Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson" is the collection of the three volumes of poetry originally published in 1890, 1891, and 1896; it was edited by Mary Loomis Todd and Thomas Wentworth Higginson.

Emily Dickinson was a prolific writer and yet, with the exception of four poems in a limited regional volume, her poems were never published during her lifetime. It was indeed fortunate that her sister discovered the poems—all loosely bound in bundles—shortly after Dickinson died.
Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson is the complete collection of the first three volumes of poetry published posthumously in 1890, 1891, and 1896 by editors Mary Loomis Todd and Thomas Wentworth Higginson. The volumes were all received with high acclaim and contain some of her best-known poems. It was in the twentieth century, however, that Dickinson was finally recognized as one of the great poets and, without dispute, the most popular.
The name Emily Dickinson is a legend now, but she never had the opportunity to taste the wine of success and fame in her lifetime. In fact, if there was any legendary status she received in her life, it was not for poetry but for the way she lived her life. She received local notoriety in her native town of Amherst, Massachusetts, as an eccentric recluse who, with few exceptions, would never set foot outside her house. Yet, as her poetry will attest, she had a keen insight of life, love, nature, and death and seemed to be content with her station in life.
Reading through the poems in Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson, you will see that she was indeed a woman of independence and spirit, a poet that lives today in our hearts and minds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:32 -0400)

The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson, by Emily Dickinson, is part of the Barnes & Noble Classics series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics:

• New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and scholars
  • Biographies of the authors
  • Chronologies of contemporary historical, biographical, and cultural events
  • Footnotes and endnotes
  • Selective discussions of imitations, parodies, poems, books, plays, paintings, operas, statuary, and films inspired by the work
  • Comments by other famous authors
  • Study questions to challenge the reader's viewpoints and expectations
  • Bibliographies for further reading
  • Indices & Glossaries, when appropriateAll editions are beautifully designed and are printed to superior specifications; some include illustrations of historical interest. Barnes & Noble Classics pulls together a constellation of influences—biographical, historical, and literary—to enrich each reader's understanding of these enduring works. Born in Amherst, Massachusetts in 1830, Dickinson began life as an energetic, outgoing young woman who excelled as a student. However, in her mid-twenties she began to grow reclusive, and eventually she rarely descended from her room in her father's house. She spent most of her time working on her poetry, largely without encouragement or real interest from her family and peers, and died at age fifty-five. Only a handful of her 1,775 poems had been published during her lifetime. When her poems finally appeared after her death, readers immediately recognized an artist whose immense depth and stylistic complexities would one day make her the most widely recognized female poet to write in the English language.Dickinson's poetry is remarkable for its tightly controlled emotional and intellectual energy. The longest poem covers less than two pages. Yet in theme and tone her writing reaches for the sublime as it charts the landscape of the human soul. A true innovator, Dickinson experimented freely with conventional rhythm and meter, and often used dashes, off rhymes, and unusual metaphors—techniques that strongly influenced modern poetry. Dickinson's idiosyncratic style, along with her deep resonance of thought and her observations about life and death, love and nature, and solitude and society, have firmly established her as one of America's true poetic geniuses.Includes an index of first lines.Rachel Wetzsteon is Assistant Professor of English at William Paterson University. She has published two books of poems, The Other Stars and Home and Away.… (more)

Legacy Library: Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Emily Dickinson's legacy profile.

See Emily Dickinson's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,228,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible