Stranded (Alaskan Courage) by Dani Pettrey

Stranded (Alaskan Courage) (edition 2013)

by Dani Pettrey

Stranded
by Dani Pettrey
#3 Alaskan Courage
Audio narrated by Christina Moore

Darcy St. James is asked to join her friend, Abby, on an undercover assignment aboard an Alaskan cruise liner, the Bering. They had previously worked together as investigative journalists and although they hadn't been in touch for some time, they had been the best of friends in the past. After a quick greeting as Darcy boarded the ship, they had to part quickly before they could discuss the assignment due to an excursion with cruise passengers Abby needed to take part in. Unfortunately, she didn't return. After discovering that a female passenger had fallen overboard but had been rescued, and the cruise line refusing to say who it was, Darcy starts to fear that it may have been Abby and begins an investigation of her own, all the while trying to hide the fact that she and Abby are friends. She doesn't know what kind of complicated tangle Abby may have found herself in and is afraid that whatever she was investigating may have a connection to her disappearance.

Darcy discovers that a man she last saw a few months ago, Gage McKenna, is also employed by the Bering, his family business has a temporary contract with the cruise line overseeing adventure excursions, some on the ship itself (climbing wall, etc.) but mainly kayaking and overnight camping packages. They have some sort of vague romantic past that ended seemingly because Gage was grieving for a lost child and Darcy's strong Christian faith rubbed him the wrong way as he was still in the mindset of believing it was God who took his child from him. In spite of that, they both are still drawn to each other, and Gage is pulled in (partly due to protectiveness and partly due to Darcy's unrelenting bullheadedness) to help Darcy find her friend.

This falls into the Christian/cozy mystery genre with a clean romance thrown in. The mystery part was okay; however, I found the whole story rather boring because it was d...r...a...w...n out too much. I had a hard time believing that Darcy was ever a real journalist because she was dim as a burned-out light bulb. She had no sense of self preservation and no skill at judging peoples' character. Her method of coaxing people to say more was to just repeat back what they said to her. The only thing she was good at was being a bulldog about asking questions long after people were irritated with her. She had no boundaries. She was bossy and pulled Gage around by the nose. By the end, I didn't like her and I had little respect for Gage.

For those looking for a good clean Christian read, you'll like this. I'm of that faith myself, but I was still a little put off by the proselytizing, so fair warning to those whom that subject may make uncomfortable. My overall opinion of this book is that it was so-so, so take that for what it's worth. I read a lot of grittier suspense novels, so this one probably just needs the right audience. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
Stranded is the third book in author Dani Pettrey's Alaskan Courage series of inspirational romantic suspense books. It is not essential that the books be read in order, however. Stranded can be read as a stand-alone, as I did, without becoming lost or confused about story lines or character development from previous books.

The three (so far) Alaskan Courage books tell the tale of the McKenna family. Each book spotlights a particular family member. In Stranded, Gage McKenna is featured. He and Darcy St. James first met in Book #2, Shattered (which I have since purchased, so I can catch up on their back story and read about Piper McKenna, Landon Grainger and Reef McKenna).

I liked Stranded very much. The genre is a bit of a switch for me — I usually read ordinary romantic suspense that is uninspiring. In ordinary romantic suspense, all of the suspense in the story line revolves around solving the mystery. In inspirational romantic suspense, Stranded included, the suspense is divided between: a) How will the mystery be solved? Whodunit? and b) Will the non-Believer(s) be brought to Christ?

Author Dani Pettrey handled the inspirational aspect very well. I have read other inspirational mysteries in which the Christian message was too heavy-handed, thus only attracting readers who are Believers, and defeating (or so it seems to me) one purpose of the genre. The spiritual message in Stranded is not overwhelming, so that a reader "on the fence" could be drawn to know Christ for him/herself.

Dani Pettrey's world building, character development, scene descriptions and dialogue are all outstanding. She made me wish I could live in Yancey, Alaska, just so I could be neighbors with the McKenna family (except it gets cold there in the winter, so maybe I had better stay in South Carolina). She made me wish I was on the Bering with Darcy and Gage (except there were people dying, so maybe I had better stay in South Carolina).

I recommend Stranded to all readers of romantic suspense, especially to fans of inspirational romantic suspense, and grant it my Four-Star seal of approval.

{Originally published at Jane Reads}

Jane.Reads | May 28, 2016 |
Looking for an attention-keeping book for your daily commute or exercise routine? Then check out book 3 in Dani Pettrey’s Alaskan Courage series, Stranded. This audiobook is perfect for the woman on the go who likes a suspenseful slant to her romances.

The McKenna family, along with their friends, are back for more adventure when they sign up to lead extreme excursions for a cruise line. Darcy St. James is also on board trying to determine what happened to her friend and fellow investigative reporter, Abby. Sparks fly between Darcy and Gage as they rub each other the wrong way, as well as develop a deep attraction. The story turns sinister as evidence points to more missing women.

Pettrey has great characters in her McKenna family. Each is his/her own person with definite opinions and attitudes. The family’s interactions are interesting and believable. In this book, Gage McKenna is front and center in his reluctant relationship with reporter, Darcy McKenna. At the beginning of the book, Gage is a non-believer who blames God for the death of his infant son. But Darcy’s witness and events force Gage to reevaluate his stance. Characters who are believers — Piper and Darcy — are not afraid to share their faith, yet are never in-your-face. Their’s is a natural witness lived out in both words and actions. Prayer plays a large role in the book, with God’s interaction in the characters’ lives crucial for the story’s progression and the characters’ growth.

Because this is book 3 in a 5 book series, there is plenty more to develop between Gage and Darcy, and, I hope, between Jake and Kayden McKenna. I am definitely looking forward to more from Pettrey and her McKenna family.

Recommended.

Audience: older teens and adults. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Jan 15, 2015 |
I loved this book but I expected I would because I have loved the other two books in the series. I can't wait until the next book comes out because I love the characters and I am going to be sad when this series is over. In this book to get to follow along with Darcy & Gage as Darcy tries to find her friend that went missing on cruise ship. This book kept me on my toes and I couldn't stop reading it until I finished it because I had to know how it ended and what ended up happening in the book. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was not a fan of this book. If you haven't read the earlier books in the series (I have not), you will be confused, as the author dives right in without giving much introduction to the characters or backstory on the McKenna siblings. Also, I know this is a Christian novel, but the way the bad guys acted (not bad or villainous enough) seemed really fake to me. ( )
  ChicGeekGirl21 | Dec 4, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764209841, Paperback)

Eager Fans Await Bestselling Author Dani Pettrey's Latest Romantic Suspense

When her friend vanishes from a cruise ship, reporter Darcy St. James isn't satisfied with their explanation that she simply left her job of her own accord. Something isn't lining up, and Darcy believes the only way to find the truth is to put herself in Abby's position. Within days, Darcy learns her friend wasn't the only person to disappear mysteriously. Last summer, a woman vanished under almost identical circumstances.

Gage McKenna has taken a summer-long stint leading adventure excursions for the passengers of various cruise lines that dock for a few days of sightseeing. He's surprised to find Darcy working aboard one of the ships, investigating a troubling report. Something sinister is going on and the deeper they dig the more Gage fears they've only discovered the tip of the iceberg.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:05 -0400)

"While investigating a friend's disappearance, Darcy St. James discovers a dangerous operation--and becomes its next target. The McKennas need to find her before it's too late"--Provided by publisher.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Dani Pettrey's book Stranded was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,163,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible