The First Elizabeth by Carolly Erickson

The First Elizabeth

by Carolly Erickson

English (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (6)
First rate history of Elizabeth I. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
A lavishly detailed account of the life and times of Elizabeth I of England, Erickson's book is a carefully researched gem. The book attempts to adequately portray the broad society and political backdrop against which Elizabeth reigned as well as the details of day-to-day life for the queen and her contemporaries and some sense of the personalities involved. Very nicely done. ( )
1 vote turtlesleap | Jul 8, 2009 |
We are shown Good Queen Bess and Gloriana not only from a modern perspective, but also through the eyes of her contemporaries, both peasants and princes, while the ladies, lords, servants and enemies that surrounded her, the sulky Earl of Leicester, shadowy Philip of Spain, steadfast but often frustrated William Cecil and the seductive Queen of Scots dance and plot and fight vividly across the page.
1 vote casnaz | Feb 18, 2009 |
Oddly written. She seems to accept some rumors as true that many other biographies of Elizabeth discount, and she has odd detours into specific events which are not at all important. Yet she glosses over quite important events and only alludes to them in passing. Still, Elizabeth is always interesting, and it's certainly not the worst account of her. ( )
  dberryfan | Jan 26, 2009 |
I was a bit skeptical about this book at first. On only the second page, Erickson refers to Anne Boleyn as having the marks of scrofula on her neck at her coronation. Now, this is something I have not read before. I've read about the mole, and possibily a goitre, but not scrofula, which is Tuberculosis in the neck lymph nodes. This lead me to be a bit skeptical of further information I might come across, but this was really the only startling thing. In fact, having read a lot about Elizabeth I, this book ended up being quite refreshing. There were lots of small facts mentioned about the way of live, the organizational nightmare of running a Court, the progresses, the fashions, even the details about the fitting of the Spanish Armada. It was not a dry read full of political maneuverings, but a more intimate look at how Elizabeth and those about her lived. However it did seem a bit rushed at the end. The Earl of Essex and his rise and fall don't take up much of the book at all, in fact the time from the triumph over the Spanish Armada to her death were covered very quickly. Well worth the read for some interesting gems of information. ( )
1 vote nellista | Apr 21, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031216842X, Paperback)

In this remarkable biography, Carolly Erickson brings Elizabeth I to life and allows us to see her as a living, breathing, elegant, flirtatious, diplomatic, violent, arrogant, and outrageous woman who commands our attention, fascination, and awe.

With the special skill for which she is acclaimed, Carolly Erickson electrifies the senses as she evokes with total fidelity the brilliant colors of Elizabethan clothing and jewelry, the texture of tapestries, and even the close, perfumed air of castle rooms. Erickson demonstrates her extraordinary ability to discern and bring to life psychological and physical reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

A portrait of the Tudor queen and her times attempts to give an accurate portrayal of Elizabeth's complex personality

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,029,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible